Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Club

Options
  • 21-04-2020 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I have started cycling again (after many years absence) during the lockdown. I am currently cycling 9km or so around the neighbourhood, increasing it a little every day. I push myself quite hard, route incorporates some nice hills. I am using a standard roadbike, probably average 20km per hour. I would hope to be doing circa 20 kms per day by june. I am 55, weigh around 99kgs. I intend to buy a decent racer in time and would like to join a cycling club in Kilkenny. My question is would most cycling clubs cater to people of my low standard or would I need to get to a decent level first before I join them on their treks ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It sounds like you're already at a decent level. You'll find that you can do a lot more in a group than you can solo, so you shouldn't worry about distance or speed.

Clubs tend to cater for all types. There's a club locator map on the Cycling Ireland website that'll help you find clubs in your area. Check out the club websites or Facebook pages and you should get an idea of the leisure spins they run.

Many clubs run beginner spins early/late in the season, but a lot will allow you to join during the year also. Given the current situation it may be some time before club spins are running again. If you keep at your solo efforts you should be ready by the time they start up again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

There's also the Axa bike rides as well if ya want a stepping stone between where you are now a and a club: https://www.axacommunitybikerides.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Give Marble City Wheelers a shout.

http://marblecitycyclers.com

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was about to recommend them, seem like a decent bunch and pro active towards new members. Had one of them let me crash in his house when I arrived late back from an Audax so a thumbs up from me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I can't comment on most clubs but the one I'm in has a beginner's 60km group with more groups that you can easily progress into (if you want to).
    It's referred to as 60km because rhey head out on Saturdays and cover about this distance (slightly less in winter) at reasonable speeds.
    Contact your local club and ask - I assume they have something similar.
    If you're doing 20km a day then you could easily find yourself moving up from the 60km group.
    As for age and all that, it means very little to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement