Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost job and the laptop. Need advice

Options
  • 21-04-2020 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

Hey so Im now out of a job and the only laptop I used was the work one.

So I'm gonna have to buy one for myself.

I've been keeping an eye on Dell outlet for something but I dunno if that's a good option or not.

I guess Im looking for something that wont be slow.
    • i5 or i7 - or equivalent
    • 8-16gb ram
    • Good screen quality. Camera/mic essential (prob standard these days)
    • No small HDD. 256gb is too small in my eyes.
    • Preferably be able to play some old games. Dont really care about new ones as if I play I usually do so on console. So a 2gb card prob be ok (I dunno)?
    • Screen size max 15 inch or so. Dont want a massive thing. 14 inch prob best.
    • Touch screen would be nice but not essential.
    • If it was a slim/light machine that would be great. I like sleek things (fussy maybe)

Hoping to spend anywhere from 600 - 1k. Something that will last a good while.

Windows be best for me. Preferably with MS Office but Im sure I can get that if needed

Sorry I know there are always new threads on this but I feel you guys might know the best.

Any help would be great.

Comments

this is a great laptop for £600

quality all-metal build, good keyboard, narrow bezels around screen
    light, nice design
    4-core AMD Ryzen 5 cpu
    8gb ram but that's enough unless you're video editing
    512gb ssd - fast pci type ssd
    good battery life
    14 inch IPS screen. decent brightness

https://www.box.co.uk/53010TVL-Huawei-Matebook-D-14_2859739.html

it will play older games like Grand Theft Auto 5 easily and more modern ones that aren't too demanding if you drop the rez to 720p

this is because the AMD integrated graphics are far better than intel's equivalent

I wouldn't bother with a gaming laptop as your budget won't get you a good one and it will be a heavy plastic one.

here is an idea of the gaming possiblilities with that cpu and dual-channel ram like is the case here

you could the pretty much similar honor magicbook (same company) laptop for 550 but it has a 256 gb ssd.

no dell comes near for the build quality or gaming capabilities for the money. (and dell take 3 weeks to deliver at the moment)#

for ms office buy a product key on ebay cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Cheers mate. That looks like it ticks pretty much all the boxes.

rats. these lads wont ship outside UK. Will parcel motel or somethin work for that?

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    rats. these lads wont ship outside UK. Will parcel motel or somethin work for that?

should work if you try them hopefully.

parcel wizard

addresspal (has UK mainland address so sometimes more useful if sellers don't ship to NI)

parcel motel

Ordered there with Address pal so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement