Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inner tube help

Options
  • 21-04-2020 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭

So I've only recently got back into cycling and I've suffered a puncture. Sizewise I'm clueless I've bought 2 but both are 2 big. Can someone tell me what size I should be ordering. I've attached the wheel images

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Cotts72 wrote: »
    So I've only recently got back into cycling and I've suffered a puncture. Sizewise I'm clueless I've bought 2 but both are 2 big. Can someone tell me what size I should be ordering. I've attached the wheel images

700 is the tyre diameter.
    25 is the tyre width
    Last you need to measure what length valve you need. If it's just a plain alloy rim then 40 or 42 mm will work. Presta valve is normal if it's a road tyre (schrader valves are the thicker valves you'd see on a car or truck).

So that'd be 700x25 with presta 42 long valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    700 is the tyre diameter.
    25 is the tyre width
    Last you need to measure what length valve you need. If it's just a plain alloy rim then 40 or 42 mm will work. Presta valve is normal if it's a road tyre (schrader valves are the thicker valves you'd see on a car or truck).

So that'd be 700x25 with presta 42 long valve.

I've bought both 700 19-25c and 25-28 and both were too big?

Valve fits with both

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean the tube was too wide for the tyre, or too 'long'?
    the 19-25 should have fit fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

Either should work fine. They may appear too long before being fitted but be ok once inserted and inflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I've bought both 700 19-25c and 25-28 and both were too big?

Valve fits with both

What did you do? To big how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Cotts72

you mean the tube was too wide for the tyre, or too 'long'?
    the 19-25 should have fit fine.

It appeared too long once I fitted it around the rim, like there a bit left over. didn't try pumping.

From the tyres I'd guess it's a Trek road bike? Tubes should be fine on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It appeared too long once I fitted it around the rim, like there a bit left over. didn't try pumping.

Like everything in life, once you get it in and its fully pumped, it's not as big as you thought it was or as big as you told everyone it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Partially inflate it before fitting it, once it has some form it'll be easier to fit into the tyre then fully inflate once you have the tyre back on again and made sure you haven't pinched the tube anywhere along the tyre bead.

Have a look on YouTube for video tutorials on fitting a tyre tube.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Like everything in life, once you get it in and its fully pumped, it's not as big as you thought it was or as big as you told everyone it was.

Jaysus, I thought my wife joined us there for a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

They always look too long when draping around a wheel, once you add some air it sorts itself out.

Cram - you've got to sig your post :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there such a thing as puncture-proof tubes?

fryup wrote: »
    is there such a thing as puncture-proof tubes?

No.

Some tyres are more puncture resistant than others but no pneumatic tyre (or tube) is puncture proof.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tannus are solid, so can't puncture
    You could use slime filled tubes, not puncture proof but may seal in some cases.
    Puncture resistant tyres are next on the list.

If punctures are your main concern, then Tannus or Schwalbe Marathon, if you have other concerns, well, what is more important?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You can also get kevlar tyre liners, which I found to be very useful

Advertisement