Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Lease is ending in Sligo, am I OK to drive back to Dublin

Options
  • 21-04-2020 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My boyfriend and I are in my student accommodation in Sligo. We need to drive back to our family homes in Wicklow and Dublin as the lease has ended. We have one car so the plan would be to drive from Sligo to Wicklow and then to Dublin. How do we do this without getting in trouble as its a fair distance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My boyfriend and I are in my student accommodation in Sligo. We need to drive back to our family homes in Wicklow and Dublin as the lease has ended. We have one car so the plan would be to drive from Sligo to Wicklow and then to Dublin. How do we do this without getting in trouble as its a fair distance.

I'm sure once you can show proof of these extenuating circumstances they won't mind at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Easy. One of you drives. Not at the same time, of course, as you won’t both fit in the driver’s seat. You can take turns though. Whoever owns the car drops the other off at home. Then continues on themselves.

Get back to us if you’re stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Johnnygeorge

Fieldog wrote: »
    I'm sure once you can show proof of these extenuating circumstances they won't mind at all...

We don't have proof as it another housemate was talking to the landlord on the phone and we've emailed for a letter or something but so far we haven't heard anything

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Johnnygeorge

endacl wrote: »
    Easy. One of you drives. Not at the same time, of course, as you won’t both fit in the driver’s seat. You can take turns though. Whoever owns the car drops the other off at home. Then continues on themselves.

Get back to us if you’re stuck.

Only one of us drives, and he lives in Dublin so he'll be driving from Sligo-Wicklow-Dublin
    So we're also a little concerned about going back from Wicklow to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What do they want you to do ? Stay there ? Walit until varadkar announces he wants us locked up a few more weeks on the fifth of may?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Yes you can travel. It’s an essential journey as you’d be homeless otherwise. Plenty of students in the same position as you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Yes you can travel. It’s an essential journey as you’d be homeless otherwise. Plenty of students in the same position as you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

We don't have proof as it another housemate was talking to the landlord on the phone and we've emailed for a letter or something but so far we haven't heard anything

I assume the car would be full on all your worldly possessions, this might be viewed as proof.

Also, if they stop you, they can demand you return to your home, which is technically what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If you meet a checkpoint, say that you live in Dublin and went to Sligo for a stag party and were told to go home by the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Pistachio19

If you want to feel less stressed about your journey you could contact the Gardai in Sligo and tell them you have to travel. They'll hardly stop you once you explain your situation. Then at least if you're stopped on the way you can tell the numerous Gardai you're likely to encounter that you cleared your journey with Sligo Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If you want to feel less stressed about your journey you could contact the Gardai in Sligo and tell them you have to travel. They'll hardly stop you once you explain your situation. Then at least if you're stopped on the way you can tell the numerous Gardai you're likely to encounter that you cleared your journey with Sligo Gardai.

That would be a very stupid thing to do. What if the guards in Sligo said no?

Advertisement