Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remortgaging

Options
  • 21-04-2020 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi,

My wife and I currently have a family home and an investment property. We own the investment property outright and are under 80% LTV on the family home.

I would like to remortgage the investment property as much as I can in order to pay down the mortgage principal on the family home. The reason I see to do this is so that I can use the mortgage interest in my tax return to reduce my tax liability on the rental income.

Has anyone done anything similar? How easy or difficult is it? Can anyone recommend a good mortgage broker?

Comments

Hi,

My wife and I currently have a family home and an investment property. We own the investment property outright and are under 80% LTV on the family home.

I would like to remortgage the investment property as much as I can in order to pay down the mortgage principal on the family home. The reason I see to do this is so that I can use the mortgage interest in my tax return to reduce my tax liability on the rental income.

Has anyone done anything similar? How easy or difficult is it? Can anyone recommend a good mortgage broker?

The interests rates will be considerably higher on the Investment property. Would there be a benefit in switching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Pretty sure you can only write off mortgage interest on an investment property if the mortgage was used to purchase the investment property.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭the-island-man

The interests rates will be considerably higher on the Investment property. Would there be a benefit in switching?

Thank you for your response.

Is that because it would be classified as buy to let?

Thank you for your response.

Is that because it would be classified as buy to let?

Yes, they'd be in the region of double residential mortgage rates, so I can't see it being a benefit. Although I see ICS mortgages have a 3.95% rate for LTV <70%. For comparison you can get a KBC residential mortgage for 2.3% (fixed for three years).

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭the-island-man

Yes, they'd be in the region of double residential mortgage rates, so I can't see it being a benefit. Although I see ICS mortgages have a 3.95% rate for LTV <70%. For comparison you can get a KBC residential mortgage for 2.3% (fixed for three years).

They'll get you which ever way you turn :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I'm afraid to say Revenue will not allow that in the slightest. You can only use the interest on the mortgage taken out to purchase the investment property at the outset.

Subsequent remortgages would not count and there would have to be a calculation done to ascertain the correct amount of true interest pertaining to your investment property.

You can't just go, oh I'll move that interest over there and save a whack load of tax. Tax rules have more than closed that loophole already.

Advertisement