Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't log in to Eir from iMac

• 21-04-2020 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello,

Since last week I cannot log in to the "MyEir " site from my iMac. My email is recognised, and when I enter my password, instead of going to my page, I am returned to the login page. However I am still logged in. I have deleted the stored password in Safari and re-entered it, restarted the iMac, and run the maintenance routine in Onyx. I can login to the Eir site on both my Android phone and my iPad using the same details which fail on the iMac. I spoke to Eir , who said that as far as they could see, there was nothing wrong at their end. That suggested that I login on the phone or iPad and change my password, which I did. Still no joy on iMac login.
    Would anyone have any idea on what I might try next?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Hello,

Since last week I cannot log in to the "MyEir " site from my iMac. My email is recognised, and when I enter my password, instead of going to my page, I am returned to the login page. However I am still logged in. I have deleted the stored password in Safari and re-entered it, restarted the iMac, and run the maintenance routine in Onyx. I can login to the Eir site on both my Android phone and my iPad using the same details which fail on the iMac. I spoke to Eir , who said that as far as they could see, there was nothing wrong at their end. That suggested that I login on the phone or iPad and change my password, which I did. Still no joy on iMac login.
    Would anyone have any idea on what I might try next?

Thanks.

Happened to me also. Logged in using Chrome. Always handy to have one or two extra browsers for just such a scenario!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TumblingDice1

Thanks Doodah7. Using Chrome worked! I'm still curious to know what happened with Safari.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

A lot of websites aren’t tested on all browsers, probably just on MS Edge, Chrome and Firefox (and probably only on the Windows versions, and on the iOS version of Safari), so there is probably something wrong with the Eir website in relation to MacOS’s Safari.

It can also be an issue with the OS, or OS-version of the browser - I recently found that I couldn’t change my Virgin media account password on any Mac browser (Safari, Firefox & Chrome) - kept saying the new passwords didn’t match, even though I retyped them carefully a few times. It only worked when I used Windows (on a Bootcamp partition, as it happens).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You could try clearing Safari's cookies and cache. I know you said you ran OnyX but I wouldn't trust it. But as said it's probably just an issue with Eir and Safari. I had nothing but problems with their website when I was with them. Most of the Irish mobile operators have terrible websites that barely work in any browser. Like Type, I have also encountered problems with the Virgin site. And more recently Sony's Playstation site - a total POS website if ever there was one. It's shocking how these massive corporations rolling in cash can't/won't design a website that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The Playstation Store website is appalling on Safari both on MacOS and iOS (in both guises). I just use Chrome now for that site and don't waste time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

For most sites you can get Safari to work by changing the User Agent setting.
    Go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced and enable the Developer Menu option.
    This will now display a new Develop Menu in Safari where you can change the User Agent to Google Chrome - Mac OS.

Ken

Advertisement