Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you go fully sober?

Options
  • 20-04-2020 12:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

For the rest of your life? By fully I don't just mean no alcohol or cigarettes but no coffee. Anything that's a drug basically.

Would life be worth living? Would you not just be existing and not living.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Will you find something else to do?

Starting threads is not a career choice, no matter how good you are at it....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why

• Registered Users Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No

But why

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I know a good few lads who have knocked the drink on the head. They all say their life is far better than it was, and not all of them were alcoholics. The only danger with sobriety is a hint of smugness can creep in. That’s mostly from the AA crew in fairness. The only bit of AA that doesn’t appear to be anonymous is the need for some members to continuously go on about how wonderful it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Anyone who feels that they could not live or feel that life would be no fun or not worth living without the regular consumption of a drug or alcohol has a problem. They are alcoholics or addicts by definition. While they might have jobs and lives rather than being strung out in the gutter, they are dependent on a substance to feel normal and that makes them an addict, albeit high functioning.

OP, you need to check yourself.

Drink!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Anyone who feels that they could not live or feel that life would be no fun or not worth living without the regular consumption of a drug or alcohol has a problem. They are alcoholics or addicts by definition. While they might have jobs and lives rather than being strung out in the gutter, they are dependent on a substance to feel normal and that makes them an addict, albeit high functioning.

OP, you need to check yourself.

I don't think the OP is an alcoholic he is just asking a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I drink soically, wouldnt be into drinking a lot. I just can't handle the hangovers anymore.
    Gave up smoking replaced it with vaping.
    I drink coffee 2 cups a day :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

stevek93 wrote: »
    I don't think the OP is an alcoholic he is just asking a question.

I'm too poor to be an alcoholic at the moment.

• Advertisement

Ultrflat wrote: »
    I drink soically, wouldnt be into drinking a lot. I just can't handle the hangovers anymore.
    Gave up smoking replaced it with vaping.
    I drink coffee 2 cups a day :D

I don't get hangovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Sure can't you get yourself onto the scratch and get your €350 a week? That money will buy a lot of flagons of cheap cider down in Aldi that you can sit on your hole in a bus stop and swill while occasionally shouting incoherent nonsense at passers by and do as they do here in Cork, defying gravity and shítting vertically up along walls. I couldn't do that with 6 weeks circus training.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Sober? What’s that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I don't get hangovers

Count your self lucky..

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was never much of a drinker. I only drink socially (not too often these days with people married\kids etc.) and even at that it would only be 2 or 3 pints at most. I never drink at home to relax. I think giving up entirely wouldn't be much of a stretch for me. I do like my tea though!

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Count your self lucky..

It's great.... Never an issue the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Unless I had addiction or medical issues I don't see any reason to deny myself the fun things in life.

No way, couldn’t give up alcohol, tea or coffee. Why would I want to do something crazy like that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No coffee? Why would you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Drugs are chemicals, all food is basically a mixture of chemicals that our body may or may not need.

I have to say no as my body needs so many drugs like ascorbic acid, cholecalciferol, amino acids etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

RobertKK wrote: »
    Drugs are chemicals, all food is basically a mixture of chemicals that our body may or may not need.

I have to say no as my body needs so many drugs like ascorbic acid, cholecalciferol, amino acids etc

Socrates is a man. Not all men are Socrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,623 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How do you equate coffee to a being a drug ? what about an Apple or something with sugar added to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm grand without drink drugs coffee cigarettes etc, would be a bit bolloxed without my prescribed meds though. Do they count?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm sure most people 'could', however why would you want to? I hear this sh*te all the time about oh could you give up this or that or you should give it up for X amount of time to prove whatever to yourself.

Why? I don't get this, especially those who do the above and rub it into everyone's faces.

If you want a drink, have one, if you don't, do not. We read wayyy too much into it here and some posters seem to accuse anyone and everyone of having an alcohol addiction and advising them to 'get help'

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

It's great.... Never an issue the next day.

I'm rare to be getting the hangovers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I could give up alcohol easily enough though I do a few drinks every so often and cocktails in the sun. I don't smoke or drink coffee. The only teas I drink are naturally caffeine free because I was medically advised to cut out caffeine as much as possible.

I could never give up sugar though.I'm mad addicted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Booze gone,never smoked,can live without coffee but love a cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Could you go forever without starting inane threads? I mean forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I give up booze for 3 months every year. It's a great exercise in that you hit the reset button every year on your health, weight etc. The wife gets 3 months of non-lager lout husband but ultimately you know come spring you be back in the pub with a classy waistline and low blood pressure.

Alcohol and cigarette harm is a cumulative phenomenon, taking a 3 month break each year would lessen people's problems tenfold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,623 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I could give up drink for good easily only been out once this year and I don't drink at home at all ,
    I used to love it years ago out everyone Friday and Saturday ,

I loved an all day session or a 2day stag , getting on now late 30's and kids so don't have the time ,
    Any spare time I get is taking up with my own hobbies,

I guess a wedding or a family BBQ I mite miss it but id get by

Don't smoke but I do love my coffee so ill be sticking with that ,

Advertisement