Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you fund your local?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

Maybe if they offered credits that could be redeemed for pints once they re-open.

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would, I love my local

My local has received enough "funding" already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

My local is owned by a man who's a regular feature on the Rich List. He bought me a pint once. And I must have bought him three college educations, a new car and half a contempt of court fee.

I will in my hole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Nope.

The example in the OP seems like those people are throwing their money away. It doesn't say what the money will be used for (already receiving state and landlord assistance) and I would need details on how their staff are being treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Local, no because I dont use pubs often enough. If on the other hand a cafe or restaurant I frequented was in difficulty I would try to help out in some way. My barber is running a competition to keep the Bill's paid, in return the winner will receive a years worth of haircuts. Good trade off IMO.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Local, no because I dont use pubs often enough. If on the other hand a cafe or restaurant I frequented was in difficulty I would try to help out in some way. My barber is running a competition to keep the Bill's paid, in return the winner will receive a years worth of haircuts. Good trade off IMO.

Yeah, the tiny shops that run on small profit margins at the best of times (and have the patience of a saint) - sure. But the likes of Charlie Chawke and Louis Fitz need no assistance. What next, a GoFundMe for The Edge's guitar strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Did anyone's local fund them when their local was doing well and they weren't?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Did anyone's local fund them when their local was doing well and they weren't?

Yup, got a fiver on tick from a smaller shop when I was brassic. To buy food. Never asked for back but dutifully returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Depends on the place, there are a few pubs and restaurants in Dublin that I love and would be gutted if they closed so I'd have no problem supporting. Places run by millionaires as mentioned above or those soulless press up places shouldn't need or get any help.

People do seem to have a love/hate relationship with pubs and publicans. The same people moaning about how they were all money grabbing hoors during the boom years were usually the same people throwing fistfuls of cash over the counter at the same time. No one really "wants" to see any business close down, what ever you think about the owners you certainly can't blame the staff and it's those guys I'd feel sorry for, but at the end of the day business is business and I have my own doorstep to take care of. So no, I wouldn't put my hand in my pocket for a pub. I won't enjoy hearing about closures, I just have other priorities in my life far more important than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No way. The owner is loaded already and a bit of an arrogant prick at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No. No interest in pubs but I buy my newspapers every weekend at a small locally owned newsagents that always has the papers I like, a great service and wraps them in plastic when it's wet:)
    When they reopen I'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Not a chance. They made a tidy sum off me for a long number of years and never got so much as a christmas pint off them.

Advertisement