Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitus bikes

Options
  • 20-04-2020 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience using a Vitus bike? Seem to be wiggle/CRC own brand and then specced with their own parts too. Some good prices and the bikes do look well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

They bought an old respected but defunct brand and started putting its stickers on off the peg chinese frames. A bit like planet X. In fact at one point some of the models were identical to some planet x models also for sale at that time.

That being said, they are fine frames and CRC stands over them. Anyone I know who has one is very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I thought as much Quigs. Geometry numbers seem to work for me, and the pricing is very good. Would be for a winter/do it all bike so will probably take a closer look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Ah they're better than planet x and infinitely so when it comes to their mtbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Ah they're better than planet x and infinitely so when it comes to their mtbs.

Ha! You reminded me of an old planet X armadillo frame I have in the garage! It ended life with a 140mm fork!!

You could probably check Decathlon and see if you could do better for the same money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Have two of them. Vitus razor road bike and an MTB. They seem to make quite a large amount of MTB sales and you see them all around the place. Got the MTB coming up a year working well and its taken some bangs here and there.

Got a road bike 450e - 10kg carbon fork claris groupset. Must have that about 6 months and its running fine so far. Probably a bit low end for what some people buy here but does fine for commuting and the fitness cycles when I can't get on the MTB like now.

Chainreaction also own the nukeproof brand which has won the EWS MTB series three years on the trott.

What I got:
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-razor-road-bike-claris-2019/rp-prod173128

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Have had my Vitus Zenium CR hydraulic dIsk brakes, Shimano 105 for about 5 months now .. no issues and rides great ..wheel maybe a little heavy (but plan to change them out anyway) -- so happy here with it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nearly bought one last year, seen a few at races, never seem to be lacking in regards speed. My son has an alu one for kids and it is a good quality bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

I have a vitus vitesse and have had no issue with it at all. Only minor annoyance is that it has one of the more obscure bbs. It doesnt say on it where the frame was manufactured, presumably taiwan, but it does have a uci sticker on it. Definitely a trustable brand. Mightnt pack as much value for money in as some of the german brands but its nice the way it's based out of belfast so it's not taking years to be shipped. What bike are you looking at?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-zenium-cri-road-bike-ultegra-di2-2020/

That's the one I've been looking at. I'm an awkward size so with most brands I'd have to have bars and stems, bit more difficult with the canyon steerer tube size. Like the colour of this, looks well and looks well specced for the price.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-zenium-cri-road-bike-ultegra-di2-2020/

That's the one I've been looking at. I'm an awkward size so with most brands I'd have to have bars and stems, bit more difficult with the canyon steerer tube size. Like the colour of this, looks well and looks well specced for the price.

Really good value for di2 but I think that's because the frame being used as in 1000€ tiagra model https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/vitus-zenium-crw-carbon-road-bike-105-2019/rp-prod183028 not that it's bad. But the ultegra mechanical vitesse is a similar price https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-vitesse-evo-crs-road-bike-ultegra-2020/. At that price I guess the choice is the slightly better di2 groupset or the slightly better frameset.

Finishing kit some of the difference too, lot of zipp stuff on the mechanical one, stuff I have to change anyway. From their info the zenium is more geared to general use, vitesse a bit more race orientated? Looking for something for longer distances and relative comfort!

Vitesse is a climbing bike, lightweight but not the most aggressive position, zenium might have a slightly less aggressive position. The frameset on vitesse is slight better so there'll be less vibrations so they're even in terms of comfort, both totally good bikes. Get your bike fit dialled and comfort shouldn't be an issue. In terms of swapping parts all you need to do is change the stem, if you have previous measurements you can do it yourself.

Any climbing or endurance bike will meet your needs. Giant defy, canyon endurace, merida scultura for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I can only tell you about their balance bike. It’s great and the wee fella loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Got a Vitus Substance adventure / gravel bike as a commuter about 18 months ago. On sale and the specs were far higher than I could get on any other brand. Have been really happy with it since - it’s bulletproof.

Advertisement