Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Year's Potatoes

Options
  • 19-04-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

I was going over some of my raised beds last week, and I guess I didn't pull up all of last years potatoes. Some plants have a few decent sized spuds on em. Question is, can I eat them ? Am concerned that they are last years forgotten tubers, and how early it is now. I need the space and hate to throw them away. There is only enough for 1 or 2 dinners, but I really like to eat my own produce....

Any thoughts? Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tjjber

Same thing happened to me last year. I let them grow, earthed them up and added plenty of potato fertiliser. We had a fabulous crop that was earlier than normal. I made sure to dig them out completely at the end of the year though. I was afraid there might be issues with pests and diseases and depleted nutrients if I grew them again in the same place this year.

Just realised you want to eat them now not use them as seed potatoes. I'm unsure whether it would be safe to eat them, I can't see why not as they have essentially just been stored for an extended period like most of the potatoes we eat from the supermarket (except in the ground)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

They will be perfect to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Why wouldn't you eat them? They'd be perfect.
    Just don't eat if green

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Right, going to eat them. If im not back in a few days, you will know it didn't go well! lol

Thx everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Right, going to eat them. If im not back in a few days, you will know it didn't go well! lol

Thx everyone
    Eat and then self-isolate:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭amandstu

Will he/she need earthing up now?

Advertisement