Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you good to go to the Doctor?

Options
  • 18-04-2020 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,423 ✭✭✭✭

I'd be very bad to go to them for a mental health issue. If it was for something physical I wouldn't really mind in general but I wouldn't want to waste there time over a common illness where they tell you to stay at home because there isn't much they can do for a common cough.
    My father on the would go several times a year over anything. He often has ''a bad flu'' and has to get something.

One time I should have gone was a few years ago but I didn't. I woke up in pain and my testicle was swollen it was massive. I could barely walk with the pain. It lasted a few days but it improved in the later while.(I was putting up a fence the day before and may have strained something but I don't know).

Are you good to go to the Doctor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There's a thing called webdoctor I've used before, it's like 30 euros and you talk to them on webcam, Irish doctors. It's very good, and probably a better route to take now if you don't want to clog up local GPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Wasn’t great until a few years when I had a pain in my abdomen and thought I was constipated but it turned out I had a perforated appendix.

Emergency surgery, a week in recovery and 2 weeks in bed now mean I no longer suffer through.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I would say one thing that has been proven during this pandemic is that a good 75% (or more) of ppl clogging up hospital waiting rooms and doctors surgeries pre pandemic really didnt need to be there at all. Hypochondriac Ireland is gone.....for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Coopaloop wrote: »
    I would say one thing that has been proven during this pandemic is that a good 75% (or more) of ppl clogging up hospital waiting rooms and doctors surgeries pre pandemic really didnt need to be there at all. Hypochondriac Ireland is gone.....for now.

I think this is nonsense. Irish people, particularly men, hold off on going to doc unless absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I rang my GP last week, they did a phone consult for the normal charge on Thursday, scan Wednesday this week and results yesterday. The fastest resolution ever in a medical issue and none of it through insurance.

Those who don't need to be in hospital/surgeries/outpatient clinics (as it turned out thankfully myself included) really are staying at home and it shows.

Since found out I am entitled to 6 video doc things a year with VHI but have never used them. Probably should have, for this particular matter, would have been cheaper. Will use that next time if I need.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Myself and the OH came down with a bad sinus like dose in late Feb/early March and got to the point where he went to the doctor

Two days later I was barely able to get out of bed and he insisted I call them

Both times, lots of question over the phone, got an appointment within the hour, told to arrive on time and if early to wait in the car.

Normally youd wait a day for an appointment

Went in, waiting room was empty

Very thorough check up, no temperature, chest sounds, heart and lungs checked, pulse checked, then given a screening I'll put for antibiotics and steroids and a stern lecture not to delay contacting them if needed.

Symptoms for us both were a sinus infection, blocked nose/ ears, puffy feeling face with headache/ sinus pain, tiredness, sore throat

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

There's a thing called webdoctor I've used before, it's like 30 euros and you talk to them on webcam, Irish doctors. It's very good, and probably a better route to take now if you don't want to clog up local GPs.

What's 'like' 30 euros?

Fúck me....I'm super excited to see, like, the end of, like, this pandemic

Idiocracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

OP should change his name to ‘Buster Gonad and his unfeasibly large testicle’.

Advertisement