Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside training volume vs. Outside

Options
  • 18-04-2020 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

With the lockdown I am getting 4-5hrs per week on the turbo. I am finding it fairly sore on the legs. More so than I would expect outdoor training of the same volume to do. Is there a lesser volume on the turbo required to replicate outdoor riding?

I'd be riding z3 mostly indoor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

There's very little free wheeling on a turbo so they wouldn't really be comparable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Thread moved to main forum

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Yeah but let's say I'm getting 9hrs outside a week. Is 6 indoors a reasonable comparison. Or should it be 9?
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    There's very little free wheeling on a turbo so they wouldn't really be comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yeah but let's say I'm getting 9hrs outside a week. Is 6 indoors a reasonable comparison. Or should it be 9?

Well I certainly work harder on a turbo indoors, I'd do a lot more in 30 mins on a turbo than I would in an hour outdoors. Hard to give an answer though as there's no base line. How often would you push 500+watts on a regular spin?? I'd have said 6 hours would be plenty but again is it 9 hours just spinning the legs because you don't really just spin the legs on the turbo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

just have to get into an easy gear every so often and spin I find. Loosen up the legs a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'd assess the quality of work rather than time spent on the bike indoors.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

if you are looking for something to compare can you check your TSS score?

I dont use a powermter outdoors. Perhaps I could gooff HR.
    It doesn't paticularly matter. But I was just interested.

Another slightly related one. I am planning an 800km tour end of July. !00k or so a day with some hiking. Is there a way to replicate 6 hrs in the saddle on the turbo or is it a matter of sitting there for 6hrs at a low power. Z1 or Z2?
    godtabh wrote: »
    if you are looking for something to compare can you check your TSS score?

I find on the Turbo the power is more consistent. No as many power spikes but higher overall consistent power. ALthough I don't measure outdoors, so hard to compare.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Well I certainly work harder on a turbo indoors, I'd do a lot more in 30 mins on a turbo than I would in an hour outdoors. Hard to give an answer though as there's no base line. How often would you push 500+watts on a regular spin?? I'd have said 6 hours would be plenty but again is it 9 hours just spinning the legs because you don't really just spin the legs on the turbo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Another slightly related one. I am planning an 800km tour end of July. !00k or so a day with some hiking. Is there a way to replicate 6 hrs in the saddle on the turbo or is it a matter of sitting there for 6hrs at a low power. Z1 or Z2?

If you use Strava you can filter by HR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I wouldn't bother trying to be too specific. Any general performance training plan will give you enough time at endurance pace to handle that distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

If you can do 2 x 100 km days back to back, with 1000 m of elevation, that's all you need to prepare.

The first few days of a tour will prepare you for the next few, and so on.

If you have a difficult day, you'll just end up going slower.

End of July means plenty of daylight hours to get through 100 km.

Advertisement