Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to work scheme-road bike for €1k

Options
  • 17-04-2020 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a courier bike, 8 gears, like it but looking for something lighter, better for road cycling.

What would you recommend for about €1k (could be less but willing to go to 1k) that I can get through the scheme.

Use would be for spins, 1 to 2 hours (probably build that up) & occasional cycle to work.
    Male, 6 foot if that's relevant
    Thanks,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

2 major things to consider are groupset and brake type.

There should be plenty of options out there for<1000 with 11 speed groupset, shimano 105 which is all you could need in a groupset or maybe even ultegra a step up from 105. Personally I wouldnt buy a 10 speed tiagra which although works perfectly I know id always be wanting to go up to 11, although it is irrelevant if you dont live in a hilly area, as high gears dont matter.

At 1000 you will probably only see 11 speed rim brake and maybe some sora tiagra mechanical disc brake bikes. Rim brakes are totally perfect, they have been used for years and are better than they ever were. That being said disc brakes are undoubtedly better, they have more modulation which gives you more control of your bike and allow for wider tyres, which can make the world of difference on the dire roads. Personally I would buy rim brakes ahead of mechanical disc brakes as mechanical disc brakes are entry level and arent as well designed as rim brakes. You could go for hydraulic discs but a 105 hyd disc brake bike would cost about 1500€.

Another thing to consider as weight and frame material, carbon or aluminium. But I wouldnt jump on a bike with lower weight or that is carbon fibre because it mightnt be as well engineered as something slight heavier.

Off the top of my head I would suggest boardman from halfords, canyon endurace, specialized allez and van rysel from decathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

These reviews of best <1000 bikes might come in handy.
    Bike radar- best road bike under 1000
    Road.cc- 15 under 1000

Advertisement