Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadand contract

Options
  • 17-04-2020 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering could anyone tell me where I stand I will explain my situation.

I ordered a broadband service 1 year ago, there was a problem with the road which took EIR 1 year to sort, now that its done my order is about to get installed. However EIR have got very competitive in the mean time and are offering the same service for half the price,

My question is, is my contract with that provider valid even though the actual service has not yet been installed to my house? Can I cancel it and order from EIR instead ?

I would have presumed the contract starts only when service has been provided ?

If anyone can clarify if I can exit that, that would be great.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You've 14 days cooling off from when the service is activated usually. The only issue might be install costs but that should have been explained at the time of order. The environment that these companies work in gives a lot of rights to consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

Thank you very much, the service has not been activated yet as there was road works needed on openeir behalf that took nearly 1 year to complete, the engineer was due to visit next week to install connection. So I think I'm ok to stop the installation going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sky and Vodafone (and a few others) have access to the same lines if Eir aren't willing to give you the better offer.

There's also a broadband forum with some very knowledgeable folks.

Love the PC BTW.

Edit: My only other thought though is getting an install with the current COVID situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Unless it's changed, communications workers are considered an essential service. I had fibre to the home installed just a few days after the current restrictions came in.

The company rang a few days before and again on the day of installation to confirm nobody in the house were symptomatic or isolating and the installer also rang in advance to confirm it on the day and again in person when he arrived. Maintaining distance, wearing gloves, hygiene were all observed during the installation + everything went very smoothly.

There was already a distribution point opposite the gate but I was impressed with the turnaround time from order to installation and the efficiency on the day.

Advertisement