Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin vector

Options
  • 16-04-2020 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

I’m thinking of getting a power meter and was looking at the Garmin Vector 3s single side meter. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on them, are they reliable etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I have the favero assioima duo nearly two years, highly reconmended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Reliable ? No.

Quick google will show you that. And the fact that there have been at least 3 revisions so far.

... and yes some folks will pop up and tell you that they have been to antartica and back and spend all day saturdays hitting the pedals with lump hammers and have no issues. But still... lots of people have issues... I once bought a product like that thinking they were the unlucky ones, but I would be lucky. I wasn't.

Do you feel lucky ?

If not buy a power2max. Never tried the favero, but have heard less bad things about them than the Garmins (could be because they sell far less, but I suspect that they are probably much better)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

As another alternative I won a set of PowerTap P1 pedals a couple of years ago and can't fault them.
    Caveat to that being, I don't do monstrous miles but for what I'm at I would buy them.
    Try DC Rainmaker for slightly more impartial reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A friend of mine has the Garmin pedals abs they’ve been back for warranty repairs/replacement three tones in the last two years.

I have no desire for a power meter but if I were I’d be going for a crank arm type meter like Stages or 4iii etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Had the powertap pedals bearings went in them after 3 months didn't find them easy to deal with for repairs, bought vector 3 last year had an issue with the threads on the battery door there made of ****ty plastic so are a disaster really very easy to cross thread but Garmin were easy to deal with regards repairs replacement,used 4iiii crank no issues just works also powertap hub system which i found to be the most reliable of all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

lennymc wrote: »
    I have the favero assioima duo nearly two years, highly reconmended.

These come well recommended by Shane Miller and DC Rainmaker. Given the mileage they do I'll be opting for the Favero when I get my next power meter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If Favero done a version with Shimano SPD SL cleats (I prefer them, I know it is all in my head, but thats the way it is), I would buy them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

CramCycle wrote: »
    If Favero done a version with Shimano SPD SL cleats (I prefer them, I know it is all in my head, but thats the way it is), I would buy them tomorrow.

i was spd-sl on all my bikes until i got the faveros, changed over and cant really say i noticed any diffrerence. Off the power meters I have had, they are the most suitable to me, easily swap from bike to bike, and as above, I havent had any problems with them. Do it Cram!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

lennymc wrote: »
    i was spd-sl on all my bikes until i got the faveros, changed over and cant really say i noticed any diffrerence. Off the power meters I have had, they are the most suitable to me, easily swap from bike to bike, and as above, I havent had any problems with them. Do it Cram!

I know its in my head, I have used Look etc in the past but they just never done it for me. I think it is my inherent cheapness and that the Shimano cleats seem to last longer but my head tells me I feel better with them.

I will probably get a pair next year regardless, but for now I have a smart trainer so that will do me for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Yeah was always a Shimano cleat myself found the powertap very difficult to get used to with the look cleat but no such issues with the vectors for some reason i use a mixture of look cleats and Shimano on different bike and to be honest don't notice any difference if anything i think i prefer look now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I've fallen over at more traffic lights with SPD pedals than Look. That is my vast experience

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have vector 2 pedals for over 2 years now and have had no issues.. the max power and average power figures are very low, but that has nothing to do with the pedals! :)

Advertisement