Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installer recommendations

Options
  • 16-04-2020 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

I'm intending on buying a 4-panel kit with the K2 D-Dome mounting system from solartricity and will install it on a flat roof shed. That shed has been rewired recently and has it's own fuseboard which is directly connected to the main house fuseboard. As such I wouldn't expect there to be any need to run new wires.

There's no diverter to install either as I don't have an immersion heater.

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who would install the system. I'd have no problem doing the physical installation if there is an installer who just does the electrical aspect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭moon2

Got an installer recommendation from SolarTricity in the end.

For EUR 1,700 all-in I have a 4 panel 1.2kW installation up and running.

I could've saved just under 200 if i had collected the gear myself and gone with a cheaper (but trusted!) electrician, but I figured it'd be better to get someone more familiar with installing PV when the price wasn't that different.

4kW generated so far and it's more than covering the base load :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

Would you mind giving a break down of your costs?

Did you buy hardware and then pay installer for labour?

Can you get the grant doing it this way?

The installer was 500, the rest was the kit.

I did the physical installation myself. The installer ran 5m of wiring to the fusebox, added isolators and a thingy which tells me how much PV has been generated (i forget the name for the component), and gave the physical installation a once-over to make sure I hadn't made any obvious mistakes.

You can't get the grant this way as the installer has to buy/provide the equipment. However this approach was cheaper than every quote I had received, even when the grant is taken into account.

Maybe if you know an installer you could work out a deal where he buys the kit you want, you set it physically, then you get the grant after he does the electrical installation. Not sure how many installers would go for that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

Thanks! That's helpful. Congratulations on getting it done.

Was the physical install difficult?

It's ridiculous that your can't get the grant using an approved installer but sourcing your own kit.

Thanks! That's helpful. Congratulations on getting it done.

Was the physical install difficult?

It's ridiculous that your can't get the grant using an approved installer but sourcing your own kit.
    It was relatively easy. The most complex part was that the kit had an extra piece which made it really confusing. Once I looked up a YouTube video or two and ignored the extra piece it took under an hour to piece it together.

I'd definitely recommend that route to anyone whose reasonably handy

• Advertisement
Advertisement