Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unilateral termination of joint tenancy

Options
  • 16-04-2020 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

The five of us (all adults with no family relations between us) are joint tenants in the Republic of Ireland under a 6-year-cycle Part 4 residential tenancy agreement with no fixed term specified. Commencement date is 22.12.2019. I got amended as of 24.02.2020. We have no arrears of rent. Notice periods are legal defaults as in Section 66.

Is there a legal way for me to serve notice of termination to the landlord or otherwise cease to be subject of the agreement WITHOUT ANY CONSENT and NOT ON BEHALF from the other joint tenants or anyone else? If so, can I be pursued for compensation by the remaining tenants and how much compared to the rent / my share of the rent (further than what i have to pay for the notice period)?

Please reference the relevant sections in the latest revised Residential Tenancies Act 2004 or, if necessary, other acts aswell.

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Poster should consult own solicitor. This is a forum for legal discussion rather than for advice.
    Leaving open for general discussion subject to forum rules

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You need to find a replacement tenant with the housemates and usually landlords agreement. Otherwise legally you are jointly and severably liable to pay.

Advertisement