Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The double spacing between lines thing

Options
  • 16-04-2020 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

Is it my keyboard? I'll use this post as an example;

I post a thread or a reply and I leave a space between paragraphs or sometimes sentences for easy reading. But when I hit space it then appears with double and sometimes triple Return key spaces and not single

I then have to go into edit on the post to tidy up the excess spaces

Is it an out of date version of anything I'm running?

Firefox?

Windows 10?

I'll leave this post unedited as an example

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi ShineOn7,

It does appear to be a Firefox related issue. MJohnston outlined a fix here before.

Here's what they recommend:
    So I've found the culprit, and have a temporary fix until phpBB or whatever gets fixed:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1430551

In Firefox, you can turn this behavior off by typing 'about:config' in your address bar, and then searching for "editor.use_div_for_default_newlines". Change the value of this entry to 'false'. This will fix the issue, but not the root problem. That needs to be fixed either by Boards.ie or their phpBB source - likely the problem is that the phpBB code had something built in that was mimicking this newly fixed behaviour, aligning Chrome and Firefox. But now that the fix has reached most people's Firefox browsers, we're getting the fix and the phpBB workaround 'fix', which is duplicating the line breaks.

So, while the config change I mentioned above will temporarily fix this issue on Boards, what will happen is some services will start adjusting to the new default of 'true', and then anyone who has modified the default will have the opposite problem of not enough line breaks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Hi ShineOn7,

It does appear to be a Firefox related issue. MJohnston outlined a fix here before.

Here's what they recommend:

Thanks Mark

As mentioned above, if I edit it though it will then effect anywhere else I post. As in, there won't be any line breaks

Maybe it's something Boards can fix on the next update?

Boards.ie Employee

There is a risk that it could impact other places where you post if and when these services start adjusting to the new value. It is something that you could try and weigh up how it impacts various sites that you use.

I will let the devs know about this issue, but rolling out a fix will depend on their priorities, which is currently more maintenance related. Sorry for the inconvenience.

No worries Mark. I understand that server capacity etc is priority at the moment

I might try Boards with Chrome in the meantime

Thanks

Mark; can you have another look at this?

It's not convenient to go in and edit all my posts after I post to get rid of the double spaces

Some times there's triple spacing!

It's a bit messy for Ireland's most used forum to have this issue. I don't have it on any other website

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi ShineOn7,
    Sorry that you are experiencing this issue still but we have no capacity to look into this at the moment. As Mark mentioned back in April we were in maintenance mode and this is still the case for the next while. We can add it to the list of bugs/issues to be looked at when the devs have more time to do so.

8 months on and this still isn't fixed?

Boards.ie Employee

Hi ShineOn7,

I understand the frustration that this has been occurring for months. However, I'm afraid this is a lower priority than other issues, especially with the devs still on reduced hours. You could test the "fix" detailed by MJohnston and see if that helps (or the impact that it has on other sites). Unfortunately, the only other solution at this point in time is to try another browser.

Hi ShineOn7,

I understand the frustration that this has been occurring for months. However, I'm afraid this is a lower priority than other issues, especially with the devs still on reduced hours. You could test the "fix" detailed by MJohnston and see if that helps (or the impact that it has on other sites). Unfortunately, the only other solution at this point in time is to try another browser.

How can it be low priority? Don't Firefox users make up a third of desktop Internet users in Ireland?

All my passwords etc are saved in Firefox. So switching to Chrome just for Boards is a no

Not good enough tbh Mark. It simply smacks of laziness by the Tech team on here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The fix MJohnston posted worked for me on Firefox and I havent had the double line spacing issue since. .
    ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Not good enough tbh Mark. It simply smack of laziness by the Tech team on here

Calling Boards developers lazy is bang out of order tbh, as Mark said they are on limited hours and they have higher priorities than something for which a fix is available anyway.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The fix MJohnston posted worked for me on Firefox and I havent had the double line spacing issue since. .

Calling Boards developers lazy is bang out of order tbh, as Mark said they are on limited hours and they have higher priorities than something for which a fix is available anyway.

On the first point: I'm not a coder. I'm not going in and messing with lines of code in Firefox. I shouldn't have to

On the second: stop with the backseat Modding. It's a fair point to raise. This bug has been going on for at least 8 months

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ah jaysus. What MJohnston posted is not coding.

If you were a boards dev, what would you prioritise? A pile of issues that could potentially kill the site for the majority of users? Or a minor issue that has a workaround because a single user refuses to use said workaround?

Advertisement