Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteorite in the Faroe Islands perhaps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

A farmer out walking noticed a big chunk out of the ground and reckons the rocks around the debris are magnetic.

https://portal.fo/dimma-27951/funnu-toruhol-i-koltri.grein

No translation, sorry!

If you open the link in Google Chrome, it’ll translate it from Icelandic for you straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    If you open the link in Google Chrome, it’ll translate it from Icelandic for you straight away.

It'll be close, but the original language is Faroese :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how much would he get for that? ballpark figure

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

fryup wrote: »
    how much would he get for that? ballpark figure

Common iron meteorite prices are generally in the range of U.S $0.50 to US$5.00 per gram. Stone meteorites are much scarcer and priced in the US$2.00 to US$20.00 per gram range for the more common material. It is not unusual for the truly scarce material to exceed US$1,000 per gram. In dollars any way.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

It'll be close, but the original language is Faroese :)

Fair enough, when I read the article the Google Chrome translation said Icelandic to English.
    Sorry, I bothered to assist should a pass remarkable Pedant as Yourself, in the first place!

• Advertisement

Fair enough, when I read the article the Google Chrome translation said Icelandic to English.
    Sorry, I bothered to assist should a pass remarkable Pedant as Yourself, in the first place!

yes saying it's a different language. is pass remarkable and pedantry... get our for a bit of fresh air man!

yes saying it's a different language. is pass remarkable and pedantry... get our for a bit of fresh air man!

No mate it your attitude, you’re the clown who was whinging about the lack of translation and when a method is show to you, you could even reply with a simple thank you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

No mate it your attitude, you’re the clown who was whinging about the lack of translation and when a method is show to you, you could even reply with a simple thank you.

clown who was whinging about the lack of translation? The user simply stated "no translation sorry" in their opening post

A farmer out walking noticed a big chunk out of the ground and reckons the rocks around the debris are magnetic.

https://portal.fo/dimma-27951/funnu-toruhol-i-koltri.grein

No translation, sorry!

Whinging? I said there was no translation. Faroese is a niche language which google translate hasn't gotten around to. Also you're going on ignore because I don't come onto boards to deal with insults . Play the ball.

slade_x wrote: »
    clown who was whinging about the lack of translation? The user simply stated "no translation sorry" in their opening post

I made a suggestion of using Google Chrome to translate it.
    So rather than a simple thanks, I get a sarky remark, that any Pedant would be proud. In regard of and the language option Google Chrome offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

Common iron meteorite prices are generally in the range of U.S $0.50 to US$5.00 per gram. Stone meteorites are much scarcer and priced in the US$2.00 to US$20.00 per gram range for the more common material. It is not unusual for the truly scarce material to exceed US$1,000 per gram. In dollars any way.

Stone meteorites are actually much more common than iron --stone accounts for about 94% of all known meteorites https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorite

as for the faroe islands "event"---I've heard nothing on any of the meteorite groups I'm in and the complete lack of fusion crust makes me think this is fake although I do see the bit of video with the magnetic attraction but this is not definitively conclusive

I'll dig around bit more but doubt it's real

Advertisement