Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Energy supplier

Options
  • 16-04-2020 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

my electricity contract is soon ending so looking at renewing.

who offers the best prices now for a night meter setup? anyone have any comments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,663 ✭✭✭✭zell12

bonkers.ie
    switcher.ie

What did they recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

zell12 wrote: »
    bonkers.ie
    switcher.ie

What did they recommend?

hadn't checked them but will

which of these websites in generally the best or just depends on your usage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

obi604 wrote: »
    hadn't checked them but will

which of these websites in generally the best or just depends on your usage

Personally never gone wrong with bonkers.ie

Bear in mind some of them have different night rates charges and monthly tariffs so if you move demand to night, you want to prioritise cost there.

Also, if you care about it, the slightly above cheapest options have 100% renewable tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

my electricity contract is soon ending so looking at renewing.

who offers the best prices now for a night meter setup? anyone have any comments

I'm in the middle of switching. I'm going from Electric Ireland back to Energia. For my situation it came down to a choice between Glow and Energia, but there was very little between the two.

Watch out for the standing charge, it can vary quite a lot. A lower standing charge doesn't mean a lower total bill over the year though.

I see some offers from glowpower and iberdrola - never heard of these before. whats yeer thoughts on these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

use bonkers.ie

I got bord gais energy night rate as 28% discount with level pay. Energia was the cheapest overall 29% discount but they don't have level pay.
    I can't remember the individual rates but check these and the standing charge, not just the highlighted percentage

• Registered Users Posts: 64,969 ✭✭✭✭unkel

They are all just money collectors. They don't provide the utilities, just the bills. Have a look at the consumer issues forum. Iberdrola might be the cheapest but they are brutal to deal with. I would avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    They are all just money collectors. They don't provide the utilities, just the bills. Have a look at the consumer issues forum. Iberdrola might be the cheapest but they are brutal to deal with. I would avoid.
    The utilities are actually "provided" by ESB Networks, Transmission, Distribution etc. The rest on top, Electric Ireland, BG, etc are just aggregators and billing. Buy in bulk from networks and sell it on at huge margin to customers as end users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭eagerv

We changed from Electric Ireland to Energia last week. The missus did all the price checking, afaik the night rate incl VAT will be 7.62c/kWh. Will get night rate meter after switch over takes place, will make her Ioniq 28 very cheap to run. We will also be able to run other household items on the night rate.
    I still have a booking deposit for ID3, not as yet sure whether I will go ahead, might yet end up with two Ioniqs ...:)

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

eagerv wrote: »
    We changed from Electric Ireland to Energia last week. The missus did all the price checking, afaik the night rate incl VAT will be 7.62c/kWh. Will get night rate meter after switch over takes place, will make her Ioniq 28 very cheap to run. We will also be able to run other household items on the night rate.
    I still have a booking deposit for ID3, not as yet sure whether I will go ahead, might yet end up with two Ioniqs ...:)

Good rates, but I found with my usage (gas included), electric Ireland and their 200 euro cash back worked best. Not much in it though.

I estimate 5000kWh usage, 60:40 spilt towards night rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Good rates, but I found with my usage (gas included), electric Ireland and their 200 euro cash back worked best. Not much in it though.

I rang Electric Ireland and asked about the 200 yoyos for existing customers and was told that it was new customers only. So I signed up with Energia. The 200 cash back would have swayed me back to EE.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I rang Electric Ireland and asked about the 200 yoyos for existing customers and was told that it was new customers only.

I got it off them a few weeks back.

Existing customer of Electric Ireland for Gas & Electricity for a number of years now.

Called up to ensure I was getting the full 8.5% discount I was able to get. I was only getting 7.5% for online billing, so added direct debit and my total discounts are now 8.5% on both gas and electricity. They then said if I signed with them for 12 months, I'd get a €200 bonus credit. I agreed, and 24 hours later, my electricity account was credited by €200

I got my mother to call them up (electricity only), and she managed to get €50 credit.

My electricity rates are;
    Day rate: €0.1697 per kWh
    Night rate: €0.0838 per kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭eagerv

We don't have gas unfortunately in rural south east so no cashback offered. They did offer some device to control and monitor our oil system but would have been of limited use..

I rang Electric Ireland and asked about the 200 yoyos for existing customers and was told that it was new customers only. So I signed up with Energia. The 200 cash back would have swayed me back to EE.

It's 200 for existing customers. 250 for new customers (though that's online only, it's 200 if you ring them).

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/existing-customers
    Maybe it's just if you're adding gas like I was.

I got my mother to call them up (electricity only), and she managed to get €50 credit.

FYI, according to their loyalty team, they can only give a max of €75 to customers to stay with them. Not directly applicable to your post, but just an FYI of their unofficial bonus they can give existing customers.

Though to be honest, you're always best off shopping around and likely switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Electric Ireland have a supersaver electricity Nightsaver tariff where the standing charge is or was the lowest of all providers. Up to yourself to work out what works best for you, but would be beneficial for lower users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Fill in details on bonkers.ie....get the best deal.....but before moving ring your current suppliuer and tell then your offer....I have found the last few times with Energia etc they will try and beat that offer

Everyone has different requirements so hard to recommend just here.....like I have gone for a higher standard charge but a lower rate. Now I have installed solar PV I will need to swap around to try drive a better deal......but of course had only signed up 3 months previous :-)

is there any advantage in waiting until May 1st to switch?
    or does it matter

• Registered Users Posts: 64,969 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Doesn't matter. Just switch on the day your old 12 month contract expires. And remember to do this every year, you will save a lot of money. For 5 minutes work.

unkel wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. Just switch on the day your old 12 month contract expires. And remember to do this every year, you will save a lot of money. For 5 minutes work.

Make life easier on yourself and when you set that reminder, note your current meter reading(s). Saves you digging out your first bill for your first meter reading. Then over to bonkers you go.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    bonkers.ie
    switcher.ie

What did they recommend?

Came across this one also. Choosy

https://comparison.independent.ie/choosy

Dunno what, if any, difference there is between them all.

is there any advantage in waiting until May 1st to switch?
    or does it matter

By this I mean are there new cheaper rates coming on May 1st?

By this I mean are there new cheaper rates coming on May 1st?

Bord gais are introducing theirs then. Electric Ireland have already introduced them. You'll get the reduced rate on 1st may regardless of when you sign up.

Advertisement