Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get NCT without insurance?

Options
  • 16-04-2020 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an older daily driver car which failed NCT in January and I got it fixed (spent nearly 1000 EUR) the same week and have the receipt/worksheet.
    My retest got cancelled though because of the lift issues and now we have the lockdown.
    I'm in the process of buying a new car and that process is also paused now. (no scrappage deal for me & that'd also require a valid NCT anyways)

Once full lockdown goes away I'd be looking to sell the old/fixed car and will get the new car.
    The issue is, since I'm waiting for NCT since January, I can't sell the old car even if the lockdown is over, but I'll have to go ahead with the purchase of the new car.
    So I'll have two cars until I get NCT & sell the old car.
    ...but the now fully insured old car will not be insured anymore as soon as I get the new car. The new car will get the insurance with bonus 10. Can't afford paying insurance on the old car with bonus 0 while it's just parked waiting for NCT become operational.

My question is, how will I get the old car to NCT whenever they decide to continue operating?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

By trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

By trailer?

How much would that cost? (need to factor in another retest as a lot of time will pass between January when it was fixed and the time of NCT)

The car could sell for approx 2500-3500 with NCT.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

xboxdad wrote: »
    How much would that cost? (need to factor in another retest as a lot of time will pass between January when it was fixed and the time of NCT)

The car could sell for approx 2500-3500 with NCT.

Transfer your insurance to the old car for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Tails142

I had a similiar problem and was told by my insurance they would do up to 3 days transfer of my policy to another car for free, so that could be an option for you. I never went through with it in the end though, car is still sitting on my drive a couple of years later lol

sullivlo wrote: »
    Transfer your insurance to the old car for the day?
    Tails142 wrote: »
    I had a similiar problem and was told by my insurance they would do up to 3 days transfer of my policy to another car for free, so that could be an option for you.

Thanks guys, this is a very good solution!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Will your insurance company do a temporary transfer to another car already registered to you? You would want to double check with them.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Will your insurance company do a temporary transfer to another car already registered to you? You would want to double check with them.

Oh, so not all of them do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

My mechanic friend does ncts for people all the time, drives on his trade policy. Few quid his way. Maybe you know a guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I was about to post this - most companies don't allow this from my recollection. I definitely couldn't do it last time I tried with Allianz.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Irish insurers are a disgrace.
    So many silly clauses. Temp transfers are no problem unless you own the car.
    Try go take out a second policy - they wont allow you bonus on second policy.
    Drive on driving other cars extension - not when you own it.
    Get someone else to dfive it on their extension - must be road legal so to get an untested car to nct, trailer seems to be only option.
    Get someone else to temp change their policy onto it - insurer will ask if it has a valid test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Or insure it and cancel it within the cool down period?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mickdw wrote: »
    Get someone else to dfive it on their extension - must be road legal so to get an untested car to nct, trailer seems to be only option.
    Get someone else to temp change their policy onto it - insurer will ask if it has a valid test.

None of those sound unreasonable tbh.

People would take the mick if any leeway was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

One company allowed me to do that, but only for a week and once. And took some begging on the phone that I am not proud of ;)

But yeah, it's not something they like to do.

Worth a call anyway.

None of those sound unreasonable tbh.

People would take the mick if any leeway was given.

What would be unreasonable about being able to apply your no claims bonus to more than one car? It’s an absolutely insane situation that you can’t nsure multiple cars for a reasonable cost here, this sort of nonsense happens nowhere else.

What would be unreasonable about being able to do temp transfers to cars you own (though I’m not sure is isn’t allowed with some insurers anyway).

Many counties you just insurer a car and anyone can drive it this would be a much better system or places like the Uk where they operate a similar system to here you don’t have any of the crap and difficultly we have.

Insurance companies are absolute and utter gangsters the lowest of the low.

I agree and I'm the last one to defend insurance companies but you know what it's like here, those add-ons would just be exploited by cute hoors like in the past. The majority are suffering because of the carry on of the minority. Fellas insuring Micras and then going out buying Skylines or Evos to drive under the driving of other cars policy extension.
    TheW1zard wrote: »
    Or insure it and cancel it within the cool down period?

You can only use your NCB on one policy, I could not see the OP insuring an old car with 0 NCB for reasonable money if at all. I'm sure if they did they would want a substantial deposit up front for which the OP would probably loose a good bit on for an "admin" charge if cancelling. Would probably just be cheaper to hire a trailer to get it there and back.

Thanks everyone. I wrote to Allianz just now to clarify my options. A trailer is not really viable I think. Pay them to take me there, then wait 2 hours and take me back? Can't leave the car there overnight and come home with a taxi, then go back with a taxi.. Lots of expenses already in any scenario and we didn't account for the fact that I got this car fixed up for a retest in January, but the actual retest might happen in July or August. In 8 months things usually break, especially if the car is in one place like now during the lockdown.. ...and then it's back to the mechanic, then another retest. This would cost an enormous amount of money and time/effort to hire a trailer for each trip back and forth between all places involved.

I agree and I'm the last one to defend insurance companies but you know what it's like here, those add-ons would just be exploited by cute hoors like in the past. The majority are suffering because of the carry on of the minority. Fellas insuring Micras and then going out buying Skylines or Evos to drive under the driving of other cars policy extension.

Nothing stopping this still for the most part though. Things like being able to apply your NCB to multiple cars would not really have much grounds for exploiting.

It would for those wheeler dealers buying and selling cars who don't use a trade policy.

It would for those wheeler dealers buying and selling cars who don't use a trade policy.

It’s easy enough to get a trade policy though, anyone can get one really and would be much cheaper than insuring multiple cars and constantly changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

xboxdad wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I wrote to Allianz just now to clarify my options. A trailer is not really viable I think. Pay them to take me there, then wait 2 hours and take me back? Can't leave the car there overnight and come home with a taxi, then go back with a taxi.. Lots of expenses already in any scenario and we didn't account for the fact that I got this car fixed up for a retest in January, but the actual retest might happen in July or August. In 8 months things usually break, especially if the car is in one place like now during the lockdown.. ...and then it's back to the mechanic, then another retest. This would cost an enormous amount of money and time/effort to hire a trailer for each trip back and forth between all places involved.

As someone else mention. There are garages who will do it for you with their trade policy.

Can't believe it will be extremely expensive. Also things won't just break in couple of months. Car will need to be checked out again, but it's not like it will require a lot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

You could just sell the car as is

wonski wrote: »
    As someone else mention. There are garages who will do it for you with their trade policy.

Can't believe it will be extremely expensive. Also things won't just break in couple of months. Car will need to be checked out again, but it's not like it will require a lot...

Thank you. I'll ask my garage if they can do this for me. I guess collect/get NCTd/fix up/get retested/deliver back to me once done?

This car does break every time we go on a few weeks of holidays and leave it parked. It usually costs me 4-500 EUR after each holiday (never the engine, just ordinary things). I can't remember an exception actually.
    It never broke while in daily use, approx 1500km a month.
    ...now it's doing 4kms a week. Not a good thing.

It was a similar pattern with our last car actually.

vw4life wrote: »
    You could just sell the car as is

All the other similar cars on Donedeal/Carzone have NCT. Nobody would pick this car at a decent price without a valid NCT cert. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot before putting it on sale.

It’s easy enough to get a trade policy though, anyone can get one really and would be much cheaper than insuring multiple cars and constantly changing.

Really, wouldn't you have to prove you are in the trade or related trade or can you just rock up and ask for a motor trade policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I've transferred my insurance several times between two cars I own.

OP, you could get someone else to drive it under their insurance or else sell the car to your wife and then you drive it.

Advertisement