Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporarily laid off but using it as opportunity to quit

Options
  • 15-04-2020 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been temporarily laid off due to CoronaVirus but I've an in demand skillset and only for the fact I'm working for a small business, I'm laid off. However, I went be returning and will find something else. I haven't said this to them yet and for all I know, they may not exist in a couple of months anyway.

If they ask me back and I say thanks but no thanks, can I still claim social welfare until I find something else? Just be interest working for a small, amateur business after this. I'll find something else quick enough once things start getting back to normal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If you leave a job you get nothing for 6-9 weeks. Not sure which!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you are so important, why don’t you give your employer an opportunity to recruit rather than leaving it until they need you to come back, to inform them?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dav010 wrote: »
    If you are so important, why don’t you give your employer an opportunity to recruit rather than leaving it until they need you to come back, to inform them?

Op here, it's important to understand the options I have. This business may not be around or may not be able to take me back. So no, I won't be giving them any kind of advanced notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you leave a job you get nothing for 6-9 weeks. Not sure which!

Ok, thanks. I don't know anything about this sort of stuff.

Relations have been strained and I won't be going back.

Advertisement