Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric bike battery question

Options
  • 15-04-2020 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭

apologies if this is in the wrong section, might seem like a strange question but does anyone know if a battery on an electric bike is switched off but the bike is in the vicinity of flammable oils/gases is it at any risk of causing an explosion?
    I would've thought not but maybe i'm wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Unless the battery has an Atex rating then it is possible.

Is it likely, probably not, but possible all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If there are hard and fast rules are that equipment in the danger zone must be intrinsically safe, then you are probably not going to be able to find a certified e-bike, and should not bring one into the area.

If you’re just wanting to be safe and use your common sense, then I would avoid using the e-bike in the area (risk of sparks within the motor if it is a brushed design), and even if the bike is turned off, I would avoid installing/removing the battery from its mount or plugging in/out the charging cable (risk of sparks at the electrical contacts).

However, if an e-bike is turned off and parked, with the battery attached, but not being charged (and the battery has no physical damage) then the risk, compared to any other bike, is negligible (I have one in my own living room most days).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

Type 17 wrote: »

However, if an e-bike is turned off and parked, with the battery attached, but not being charged (and the battery has no physical damage) then the risk, compared to any other bike, is negligible

that was exactly the situation I found myself in in work yesterday, parked my bike in an area where no phones, smoking etc is allowed, I was basically given a bollicking for having an electric bike in the vicinity even though I assured them the battery was switched off. thought it was a bit much to be honest, especially as vehicles are allowed in to the same area, both parked up and with the engine running.

Well, rules are rules (no phones, smoking), but if they allow standard (not adapted) vehicles, then once you're not doing anything risky ((dis)mounting battery, charging, etc), then I reckon they're being a bit over zealous.

However, the problem in situations like that is that, once you point out the apparent double-standards, you often just get people's back up, for seemingly making them look bad, and they just ban the thing you were doing with no real justification, other than to avoid them looking bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ooter wrote: »
    that was exactly the situation I found myself in in work yesterday, parked my bike in an area where no phones, smoking etc is allowed, I was basically given a bollicking for having an electric bike in the vicinity even though I assured them the battery was switched off. thought it was a bit much to be honest, especially as vehicles are allowed in to the same area, both parked up and with the engine running.

Unless it’s an Atex battery there still a risk, for use in area with flammable or explosive Liquids/gasses batteries need to be Atex. Switching off the battery doesn’t eliminate the risk of a battery fault and thus causing a fire/explosion

But it is a double standard as there is a much higher risk of a car causing a spark. Through it’s battery or large wiring system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭ooter

ted1 wrote: »

But it is a double standard as there is a much higher risk of a car causing a spark. Through it’s battery or large wiring system

mentioned this to someone this morning and they said the only vehicles allowed in are only petrol or only diesel, can't exactly remember which one but whether petrol or diesel I can't see how that would make a difference.

I presume that it’s diesel only - petrol engines have a high-tension circuit for the spark plugs, which runs at around 20,000 volts.
    However, nearly every fossil fuel engine has an alternator, which has a carbon-brush voltage regulator, and a lead-acid battery with associated wiring, so I’d say that a turned-off e-bike has only the same or even less risk of being an ignition source than a running diesel vehicle

Advertisement