Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual leave gone missing

Options
  • 15-04-2020 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    I recently got promoted (nov 2019) and as such transferred over to a different clerical system.
    So a couple of weeks ago I start getting emails from the annual leave department saying the system is showing I am a day in arrears on my annual leave (as in I’ve taken one more for the year then I’m entitled to).
    I said this couldn’t be as on my payslip it showed I had 6.5 days left.
    I then get an email today saying that all my AL was used up by 10 nov 2019 (it wasn’t as I have the payslip showing +6.5) and that the day I took off in March 2020 is now coming out of this years batch. (My AL goes April to April)
    When I queried this further they said the problem goes back to 2010!!
    Ten years ago!
    Apparently I took too many AL days back then and they need to come off the balance now.
    I have no way of knowing what AL I took in 2010 as I only keep records going back approx 5 years.
    Can they do this?
    Sorry for the long winded message.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

How many days extra did they say you took in 2010??? Like one day or 6.5?

If they are saying it, they must surely have a record of it. Start with asking for their record of your annual leave in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How many days did you take last year as an example?
    What is your Annual Leave allowance?
    By law you must be give 20 days manually plus public holidays - so they cannot reduce it this year nor substitute financial penalties.

It's unlikely you took 6.5 days extra, even 10 years ago, without realising it yourself and remembering. As above, ask for the records.

Records that old are hard to stand over. As you cannot remember taking more than a week extra holidays I'd not be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

amdublin wrote: »
    How many days extra did they say you took in 2010??? Like one day or 6.5?

If they are saying it, they must surely have a record of it. Start with asking for their record of your annual leave in 2010.

yeah I will ask.
    I had +6.5 up to nov 2019.
    they have taken one day from this years allocation, so they are saying I was in arrears by 6.5+1 = 7.5 days as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

How many days did you take last year as an example?
    What is your Annual Leave allowance?
    By law you must be give 20 days manually plus public holidays - so they cannot reduce it this year nor substitute financial penalties.

so I get 25 days AL. I received 25 days minus 1 as they are taking a day away from me for the day I took in march as they said I had no allocation at that time even though my payslip says I had 6.5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

ask them for copies of your payslip going back that far. if you payslip gives the details then that should be helpful for you to prove you didnt take days (otherwise they have conflicting records....and in that case which do you believe??)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,089 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The burden of proof is on them. Not good enough to say you did x and y without being able to document it, prove and account for it. Either way, they would have had to approve these holidays if you in fact did take extra so they would be the ones who made the error. Ensure they provide you with your holiday requests however that is done, emails etc to account for every day and hour they claim you are over.

They have fûcking SFA to be doing if they are going back through holiday usage from basically a decade ago. If I was their manager I’d be telling them to have a nice hot cup of cop the fûck on and find a more productive way to spend their time, like solitaire or something. Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They may have some sort of tool for calculating AL or sick days, which sometimes have a monthly, yearly, 2 yearly limit etc. Someone might be running reports on it and its made an error.
    Ours have all these odd limits that they don't tell you about till you run over them. But they don't give us access to these counters without a lot of argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

I'd be livid with my current employers if they brought that up with me.

Why I moved companies a few time, couldn't stand that environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I'd be livid with my current employers if they brought that up with me.

Why I moved companies a few time, couldn't stand that environment.

Would you be just as willing to let being underpaid those years ago slid so easily?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Any decent employer would just write this off and move on. Ask them for documentation to support what they are saying including holiday requests etc
    Bring it up with your line manager if they won’t let it go. No reasonable person in authority would stand over taking your holidays away over an error in 2010. If they do, it’s time to start job hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

salonfire wrote: »
    Would you be just as willing to let being underpaid those years ago slid so easily?

Yep, I wouldn't even mention it or even go looking.

I could just imagine saying to my manager that I was underpaid by 6.5 days in 2010 and I want my money. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement