Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

training using a power meter and smart trainer

Options
  • 15-04-2020 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys,
    I have been trying for some time to find a training app or platform which lets me do some pretty 'dumb' training with the smart trainer.
    IN short i have some sessions which are dictated by power, or HR. For example I have a session (1 hour) with a base poser and then intervals of a higher poer at lower target cadence. I am recording all through my garmin head unit for accuracy and comparability with outside. sensors garmin cadence, speed, wahoo hr strap and quark power meter all on a tacx flow smart trainer.

To date i have been using the Tacx app to pair with my turbo trainer. I ride in the 'Power' ride and set a 'setpoint' for the power. this works pretty well but can be way off in terms of speed versus my garmin, i guess this is a gearing thing and can usually get these to match. Issue is then when raising the power and leaving setpoint i can get the power to be increased but the speed number is again out of whack.

I want to be able to ride me turbo as a dumb turbo. set it to a standard rolling / flat road and then use my cadence / gears to increase and lower the resistance. is there a platform app i can use for this. I dont want to use ERG mode as would prefer to control myself again using gearing etc.

Hope the above makes some sense.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

cd1990 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I have been trying for some time to find a training app or platform which lets me do some pretty 'dumb' training with the smart trainer.
    IN short i have some sessions which are dictated by power, or HR. For example I have a session (1 hour) with a base poser and then intervals of a higher poer at lower target cadence. I am recording all through my garmin head unit for accuracy and comparability with outside. sensors garmin cadence, speed, wahoo hr strap and quark power meter all on a tacx flow smart trainer.

To date i have been using the Tacx app to pair with my turbo trainer. I ride in the 'Power' ride and set a 'setpoint' for the power. this works pretty well but can be way off in terms of speed versus my garmin, i guess this is a gearing thing and can usually get these to match. Issue is then when raising the power and leaving setpoint i can get the power to be increased but the speed number is again out of whack.

I want to be able to ride me turbo as a dumb turbo. set it to a standard rolling / flat road and then use my cadence / gears to increase and lower the resistance. is there a platform app i can use for this. I dont want to use ERG mode as would prefer to control myself again using gearing etc.

Hope the above makes some sense.

Have you tried zwift? It will translate your power/cadence to match the course you are riding. Plenty of flat courses. Probably has all your plans pre loaded as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Not sure if the flow is similar to the vortex but when I want to do something like that I pair the trainer with the garmin, set resistance and then unpair it and connect back to my bike powermeter. That leaves me able to adjust my resistance using the bike gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cd1990

Great that could work. what are the steps to doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cd1990

godtabh wrote: »
    Have you tried zwift? It will translate your power/cadence to match the course you are riding. Plenty of flat courses. Probably has all your plans pre loaded as well.

Thanks have Zwift but the layout and roads just dont give quite enough control over the intervals. For example some im trying to do 350 odd watts for a number of minutes at say 50 rpm. its hard to get this consistency in zwift

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

cd1990 wrote: »
    Great that could work. what are the steps to doing this?

If both your trainer and power meter are paired with the garmin, it should be easy enough
    https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge520/EN-US/GUID-F7578263-4E6E-4335-9844-55678250AE10.html

Increasing the Resistance with the garmin from 10 to 20% would be the equivalent of simulating a steeper slope on the road. You then use your gears to work harder on the same resistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

[HTML][/HTML]Why do you care about speed? You're not going anywhere. :D

TrainerRoad is great for intervals.

Advertisement