Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XCOM: Chimera Squad

• 15-04-2020 9:12am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Apparently, there's a new XCOM on the way. It follows XCOM 2 and features alien squadmates á la Mass Effect. Overview here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/882100/XCOM_Chimera_Squad/

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The pop art and aliens in GAP wear looks odd, ha. I really like the "Breach points" system, that's a neat strategic twist on the starting turn. Not sure about making agents' deaths a Failure State though, that seems like a big change from the traditional X-Com feel of failure. Do like the Spec Ops ability to lower Panic Ratings in districts, I hated the way Panic would spiral & there was nothing I could do about it.

Indeed, that leaning into failure as a core Gameplay loop has always been a big part of why I haven't taken to the series. I've enjoyed the turn based action but hated the feeling of powerlessness otherwise. This looks like they're trying to make X-Com a little gentler and more accommodating to users.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

pixelburp wrote: »
    The pop art and aliens in GAP wear looks odd, ha. I really like the "Breach points" system, that's a neat strategic twist on the starting turn. Not sure about making agents' deaths a Failure State though, that seems like a big change from the traditional X-Com feel of failure. Do like the Spec Ops ability to lower Panic Ratings in districts, I hated the way Panic would spiral & there was nothing I could do about it.

Indeed, that leaning into failure as a core Gameplay loop has always been a big part of why I haven't taken to the series. I've enjoyed the turn based action but hated the feeling of powerlessness otherwise. This looks like they're trying to make X-Com a little gentler and more accommodating to users.

The customisation aspect seems to be gone as the characters on display seem to be purposefully designed to fit a narrative.

That said, it's quite cheap so can't argue with that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Much of my life was spent on XCom. Time well spent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The customisation aspect seems to be gone as the characters on display seem to be purposefully designed to fit a narrative.

That said, it's quite cheap so can't argue with that.

Oh, I hadn't spotted that. Bargain. Yeah; prescribed characters for a vague story-mode would explain the GameOver state. Initially it seemed passing strange you couldn't lose any squad-mates from that dreaded "90% chance" shot that failed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭CiboC

Perfect timing for lockdown! For a tenner I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

XCOM: Diversity Squad.

I'm really being put off playing this game, as it's so obviously pandering to the SJW crowd or at least that's my immediate reaction.

I presume at some point, one of the characters will reveal xhe (or xher) is a genderqueer feminist or something.

Also, this plays like a mobile game.

Meh out of ten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Maximilian wrote: »

I'm really being put off playing this game, as it's so obviously pandering to the SJW crowd or at least that's my immediate reaction.

I presume at some point, one of the characters will reveal xhe (or xher) is a genderqueer feminist or something.

Meh out of ten.

If you've not played it, how do you know how it plays?

Meh out of ten.

Pro-tip: for god's sake don't ply Mass Effect. It has aliens you can sleep with. Your heart mightn't take it.

By my own admission I've been avoiding the news, but since when have Snake Aliens and Mutons been part of the "SJW Crowd"?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

If you've not played it, how do you know how it plays?

I have- but only two missions so hopefully I've misjudged it.

Pro-tip: for god's sake don't ply Mass Effect. It has aliens you can sleep with. Your heart mightn't take it.

By my own admission I've been avoiding the news, but since when have Snake Aliens and Mutons been part of the "SJW Crowd"?

Somehow, I'd say that this is beyond the pale for them. Don't see why we have to see the weird obsession with them here though.

• Advertisement

ME was great and the difference is you had choice. Want to play a female lesbian Sheppard? Fine, that's your own choice.

Granted, I've only played a couple of missions on Chimera but from the get-go, the first two characters are "strang waman", one a POC, the boss is also a woman natch. Gameplay is OK but the story side of things is grating already. Hopefully it will improve.

God no, not a Person of Colour. AND a woman in charge?

Madness Ted.

ME was great and the difference is you had choice. Want to play a female lesbian Sheppard? Fine, that's your own choice.

Granted, I've only played a couple of missions on Chimera but from the get-go, the first two characters are "strang waman", one a POC, the boss is also a woman natch. Gameplay is OK but the story side of things is grating already. Hopefully it will improve.

This just comes across as whining to be honest. I'm not sure why you bought the game if this was such a significant problem for you.

This just comes across as whining to be honest. I'm not sure why you bought the game if this was such a significant problem for you.

I think you both misunderstand me, I have no issue with female, minority or any other types of characters per se. I just don't like it when it is forced virtue signalling, which is how it appears to me. If nothing else its hypocritical.

The game otherwise I'm enjoying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was going to wait for a sale.

Then saw it was a tenner.

I mean why the hell would you not pick this up for that price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Because it's clearly pandering to the SJW snowflakes..... apparently.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Was going to wait for a sale.

Then saw it was a tenner.

Can't really get over the price. Especially since Resident Evil 3 took be less than 5 hours to beat first time.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Because it's clearly pandering to the SJW snowflakes..... apparently.

And there's women in it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Oh Max.... ��

It's glitchy but an interesting take on the XCom formula. It was good enough to get me to stop playing Mount & Blade for a few hours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭CiboC

Ok, I'm know I'm probably going to regret this, but what the hell is SJW an abbreviation for.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Patser

XCom game.....for a tenner

You son of a Bïtch, I'm in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Patser

It's good, in fact it's oh crap it's 2.30am and I'm working tomorrow good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Initial Review after several hours of play.

A fair price for a decent Xcom standalone add-on. Its a nice take and change of pace on the Xcom gameplay we have grown used to in the previous XCom titles.
    The idea of the breach mode is good, and is generally well implemented, if a little repetitive (but Xcom is anyway).

Like the previous Xcom games, when not in battle there are some choices to make back on base such as research , spec ops , training. No major change here it all works fine.

I would currently give it a 7.5 outta 10. Well worth playing for any Xcom fans, and a worthwhile mini add-on at a very reasonable price.

I'd say the same now I've payed it more. Good but not great but a no-brainer at 10 euro.

Not quite as good value as Shogun 2 being given away completely free this week though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I'd say the same now I've payed it more. Good but not great but a no-brainer at 10 euro.

Not quite as good value as Shogun 2 being given away completely free this week though :)

Shogun 2 is one of my favourite great game. I think xcom 2 Is on a free trial week. Great time for developers to win some new fans

Shogun 2 is one of my favourite great game. I think xcom 2 Is on a free trial week. Great time for developers to win some new fans

I think Fall of the Samurai is one of the best DLC expansions too. My one gripe with Shogun is I think it's the game where they started upping the battle speed - 3 Kingdoms is arcade-like compared to earlier games. Mods sort that out of course.

Advertisement