Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade linux box recommendation (enigma2)

Options
  • 14-04-2020 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have been using an Amiko™ Alien 2+ Triple Tuner box for the last four years or so, and I think I need an upgrade. hoping someone here can help me pick out a new box to replace it. It originally had SPARK, but I soon upgraded to enigma2, I tried a few, and settled on a hyperion build (3267).

pros of the Alien
    -I love the OpenWebif page ( I assume all support it)
    -Dreamdroid app on my phone to set timers, stream if I'm lazy
    -triple tuner ( I have seen boxes with 1 stb and 1 terrestrial input and I would not consider them.

negatives
    - parental controls - I am not sure if are available on the alien, because I felt the box was too short on memory to add any more plugins than the ones I strictly needed, but my 8 yo is getting pretty smart with the tech stuff now and I need to get more savvy
    -the UI is pretty difficult to use. would prefer something that is easier to navigate. when my folks come to visit, they just cannot watch the tv, because they use sky at home and they just can't figure out the box. again, there maybe addons to help, I just couldn't try them.
    -stability. box intermittently freezes, and needs a reboot

the main trigger for the recent decision to upgrade is the I have lost some channels (euronews in particular). I have rescanned for the channels and cleared and rescanned the autobouquets, but not luck. If anyone has any other ideas of what to try, let me know. I figure I could waste 3-4 hours tinkering, make things worse, fix things again, but still have a flaky box that might freeze, if I am going to replace the box, now is the time to do it.

I am thinking a max budget of around €250?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The Zgemma H7S is my favourite just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tko1

which firmware image do you use? can you point to where I can see the differences? I assume each of the options on the website are just different 'builds' with different plugins preinstalled, would that be correct?

My preference is openATV. Last time I checked openATV offered a better choice of plugins. In practice I find the default ones pre-installed suit most needs. The first time you boot up, a wizard will take you through the initial setup, scanning, network etc. Once you have it as you like, I strongly recommend backing up your settings which only takes a few seconds but saves hours of swearing later on.
    Others here recommend openVix. It's a simple enough job to switch from one to the other if you fancy exploring them both. The Zgemma has a multi-boot facility but that is getting ahead of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,358 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I have a H7S, I run PurE2, find it easy to use and very stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

dulpit wrote: »
    I have a H7S, I run PurE2, find it easy to use and very stable.

Is pure2 good for eye pee tele vision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,358 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is pure2 good for eye pee tele vision.

No idea, I just use it for satellite and saorview

I went for it (the ZGemma H7S) and so far very happy, the UI is far nicer than the amiko alien and I haven't had any crash or freeze yet.

I am currently searching around for a solution to a problem with autobouquets. It seems to add the Saorview channels twice - for tuner A and tuner C (but tuner A is satellite feed so you just get a blank screen). It's annoying having the two entries on the list and only half of them work. the saorview channels and FTA are also on separate lists which is annoying. I hear I can use CrossEPG to merge but I have not tried it yet. if you have any tips on this, please point me in the right direction.

also, if you have any tips on the backing up process, I would be grateful! although I think I need to get the bouquets sorted before I backup.

CrossEPG is for downloading the EPG data on a regular schedule usually during the night. I don't use autobouquets so cant advise on it.
    The easiest way to arrange or create new bouquets is using the WEBIF function. Enter the box network address (192.168.xxx.xxx) into any web browser on your home network to access WEBIF. One of the many functions in there is bouquets. To merge channels create a favourites bouquet and add either terrestrial or satellite channels in any order you like.
    You'll find backups under SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT. Backing up settings takes ~10 seconds. Each time you do this they are date stamped so you can do it as often as you wish. A full image backup takes ~2 minutes or so.

CrossEPG is for downloading the EPG data on a regular schedule usually during the night. I don't use autobouquets so cant advise on it.
    The easiest way to arrange or create new bouquets is using the WEBIF function. Enter the box network address (192.168.xxx.xxx) into any web browser on your home network to access WEBIF. One of the many functions in there is bouquets. To merge channels create a favourites bouquet and add either terrestrial or satellite channels in any order you like.
    You'll find backups under SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT. Backing up settings takes ~10 seconds. Each time you do this they are date stamped so you can do it as often as you wish. A full image backup takes ~2 minutes or so.

That is very helpful, thanks. I have used webIF to stream, but never to edit bouquets. I will play around with it and see what I can do.

If you don't use Autobouquets, how do you generate the bouquets that you then edit? Is it alternative like AutobouquetsMaker? I am wondering if I use an alternative would I have less editing to do!

In WEBIF go to bouquet editor, add a bouquet called 'favourites' Then select each channel you want and 'add to bouquet'. In your new bouquet if you grab the 3 lines beside a channel name you can drag it up or down to re-arrange the order if needed.

• Advertisement

In WEBIF go to bouquet editor, add a bouquet called 'favourites' Then select each channel you want and 'add to bouquet'. In your new bouquet if you grab the 3 lines beside a channel name you can drag it up or down to re-arrange the order if needed.

I tried it there and it seems straightforward enough now, Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I have 2 of these running openvix. It also has KODI and STALKER Plugins.
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/Octagon/octagon-sf8008

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I have 2 of these running openvix. It also has KODI and STALKER Plugins.
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/Octagon/octagon-sf8008
    That seems to only have 1 sat tuner so you wont be able to record one sat channel while watching another..

That seems to only have 1 sat tuner so you wont be able to record one sat channel while watching another..

Its available as a twin sat too.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/Octagon/octagon-sf8008-twin-s2x

The Zgemma is a triple tuner with internal HDD. Twin tuners are restrictive IMO. Built in WiFi is handy but I never had good results streaming HD over WiFi.

The Zgemma is a triple tuner with internal HDD. Twin tuners are restrictive IMO. Built in WiFi is handy but I never had good results streaming HD over WiFi.

The zgemma is a perfectly good receiver. I installed a few for mates, I'd prefer the octagon though. I find it that bit faster. Still if you want the option of triple tuner and fitted HD then the zgemma is a the obvious choice ,no doubt.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

how do you get the Saorview chanells in HD< currenlty when I scan I only get NO HD version

I have all the FTA Engligh channels working in HD where available

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Of the Saorview channels only RTÉ1 and RTÉ2 are broadcast in HD.

Advertisement