Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tyres

Options
  • 14-04-2020 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Good afternoon :)

I have a Kellys Neos, its 10 years old but I've been using it lots to stay fit and I love it, I think I'll be getting more into cycling even when this lockdown is over.

I have a couple of issues though and wondered if there were any quick fixes. First is an easy one- my tyres are 10 years old and are not in the best condition- could anyone recommend some replacements? I am riding country roads, lots of hills & bumps, with the odd 'proper' road thrown in. So looking for durability but without sacrificing too much speed, I'm not properly 'off road'.

Second one might be a bit harder- when I change gears now its not smooth- chain rattles and its as if I'm 'caught' between gears. Is this something thats easy enough to have look at myself, or is it better to get someone qualified to take a look?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If your not looking to spend a fortune then I highly recommend Michelin Lithion 2 tyres in 25mm size. Theyr about €15 each and online sellers like CRC or wiggle usually have deals for buying a pair and tubes.

As for your gears, search of YouTube for 'Indexing bike gears' and follow the instructions however if the bike is 10 years old and still on original chain, gear cassette and cables then it may be a case theyre simply worn out and need replacing but try indexing first and also make sure to clean and then oil/lube the chain also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that bike seems to be a hybrid - what size tyres are currently on it? 35mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RobTB

appreciate this- thanks- yes its a hybrid. I think it was €700 or so when I got it, it was barely used for 9.9 years and now its gone from being in the garage to doing 20km per day, so maybe the shock has done it some damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

Indexing your gears is a relatively easy job to do yourself, and only requires basic tools (although a stand to hold your bike does make it easier, its not a requirement).

There are loads of videos on youtube on how to index your gears, but the Park Tools one is probbly the most comprehensive

What size tyres are on your bike at the moment? A quick google search suggests 38's, but if you have a look on the side of the tyre it should say something like 700x38c

I just popped out to the garage- they are Schwalbe CX Comp, and they say 700x38C, you're dead right. They're a little past their best but I think Schwalbe are ok aren't they?

• Advertisement

The brand is fine, but if the tyres are 10 years old, they could well be perished. Look for cracks in the sidewalls. If you put air in them and it stays in, then rideon, but I'd be on the lookout for a new set in the meantime

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've an old Kellys Neos myself and still get great craic out of it though it hasn't been my main bike for some years. For a cheap on and off road tyre option, I find the 35mm Swchalbe CX Comp tyres to be pretty good. Not particularly puncture resistant but easy enough to get on and off which makes punctures less of an issue. For puncture resistant, you could go for Marathon Plus Tour in 28" x 1.4". Reasonably bullet proof when you've got them on but heavy, slower and much more work to get on or off. Might be worth getting a new chain while your at it, with quick link and chain breaker tool.

I've been running 2.2" MTB tyres on the Neos recently and using it as a makeshift MTB. Eldest's boyfriend is with us for lock down so he now has it and it is seeing daily use. Bike has paid for itself many times over at this point.

Thats brilliant- thank you. I'm a real novice but I'd like to get a bit more serious and understand the bike & maintain it properly, so this is really helpful. I have videos on indexing gears and I think I can handle that alright, and also I need to give it a real good clean- after 10 years I'm guessing that the brakes might need a look, they don't sound the best when I use them. Where would I get a chain from, just a standard 27 speed chain from Amazon?

https://www.insportline.eu/5398/cross-bike-kellys-neos-2013

I think this is your bike? If so, it has some technical info on that page

Regarding the chain, presume it's got 9 cogs on the back wheel? If so you'll be looking for a 9 speed chain, although as far as a I know, an 8, 9 or 10 speed chain will work. Chain width will be 3/32"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

RobTB wrote: »
    Thats brilliant- thank you. I'm a real novice but I'd like to get a bit more serious and understand the bike & maintain it properly, so this is really helpful. I have videos on indexing gears and I think I can handle that alright, and also I need to give it a real good clean- after 10 years I'm guessing that the brakes might need a look, they don't sound the best when I use them. Where would I get a chain from, just a standard 27 speed chain from Amazon?

A 9 speed chain is what you're after, something like this. I usually go for low end SRAM or KMC chains as the more expensive chains don't really add any value on a heavy enough mid range hybrid for casual use. Amazon are grand though a bit expensive on delivery. Some of the other online shops can have free delivery if you're ordering over €50 euros and might be worth considering.

• Advertisement

Thank you again for this info. I have the tyres in the basket as well as the chain. I have one more question- apologies! Was going to get inner tubes but they have numbers which I don't understand, I know I need 700, what tubes should I get with those tyres?

Actually there was something else- I don't have any comparison but it does feel like a 'heavy' bike. The routes I ride have some big hills, according to the garmin I go up about 100m on average and it feels like my legs are going to burst into flames (which is ok, thats kind of the point!), but would you say the Neos is a heavy bike comparatively? I can't find the stat on weight.

What I'd like to do is 'learn my trade' and then perhaps upgrade later in the year, and I was looking at a Cannondale City- the guy in the bike shop said that the Neos is actually pretty good which was great, but that as I get more experienced I will probably look to trade up, so plan is to get fit, understand the workings of the bike and then move up.

Lockdown has at least been good for one thing, I love going out for a ride now.

Inner tubes are a little different. If you have 700c tyres (seems you do) you'll need 622 inner tubes. They normally cover a range of tyre sizes, so when you look at the numbers before or after 622, you want the size of your tyre (38) to fall inside that number.

So it might look something like 35/40-622

If you find a tube you think fits, post a link and someone will confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

If your changing you chain you might as well changeyour cassette and your chainrings(if replaceable) too, narrow wide chainrings make your bike feel top of the range. You'll need the tools and grease to change it out but buy once and you'll have it for years. You bike would also feel fresh out of the shop if you change the cables.

Also my personal advice to you would not to buy another a commuter/fitness/city/utilitarian bike as one well serviced will last years.

What type of bike you get depends on the riding your doing.

Advertisement