Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Kitchen Veneer cabinets

Options
  • 13-04-2020 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

I am building a new home in Donegal. I am going with a modern contemporary design on the interior with sleek simple lines on the finishes and materials.

I am looking at kitchen cabinets for the project and I'm not seeing what I am after in my area in Donegal. I am looking for wood grain veneer faced cabinets, sleek looking (not high gloss finish or painted), that go full height to the ceiling (ceiling is 8ft 6" tall).

Has anyone in the Donegal/Sligo/Northwest area of the country used or seen these type of cabinets in kitchen cabinet showrooms ?

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Almost any kitchen company should be able to help assuming they're not just assembling flat packs.

You are going to pay for it though.

Standard kitchens would run 2120mm high (most common)
    Tall kitchens would be 2300h (less common but still standard sizes).

Your kitchen is almost 2600h

You're going to be looking at custom size cabinets and maybe off-standard doors/panels.

Alternative approaches might be standard size cabinets everywhere with a 360 top box on top of each tall/wall cabinet and a 120mm head filler above or, box in above standard heights (board/skim/paint).

Keep in mind plant on gables are generally 2400 tall so you'll need to take that into account with your design.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Foleycon

Thanks Graham for the info.
    Good to know what the specific sizes of most common sized kitchens are and what the tall standard sizes are. I know they sell 4ft x 8ft sheets of veneered plywood but also 4ft x 10ft veneered plywood.
    I guess I need to find a cabinet maker who is willing to do something a little out of the norm but not something outrageously expensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's not just cabinets. Many (most) kitchen companies buy the doors/panels/attachments from one of the large door manufacturers.

Custom size, custom finish could see those parts of the kitchen jump up in price. In some cases off standards are based on next size up +40% +10% (custom colour/varnish) + 6 extra weeks lead time.

Kitchen designer is also going to have to spend 5 - 10 times longer drawing up, estimating, pricing.
    Manufacturing is going to need custom cutting lists, off standard boards etc etc etc.
    Ply cabinets will also limit your suppliers, MFC would be 99.99% of the market.

All easily doable if you have a sensible budget (think five figure beginning with a 2/3/4).

Hardest part will be finding a company willing to put in the hours/days it will take to design and price on the off-chance you might order from them. That level of work is generally done by the higher-end brands, often with a design fee of a few hundred euro up-front.

It's even harder again if you're trying to find a company to design/estimate at their cost if you're not close to finishing your build (and spending money with them).

I was a General Building Contractor in the States for a number of years before moving home over a year ago. Obviously I had all my list of contacts for my go to sub contractors and suppliers for all these things over there and doing these modern contemporary kitchens and homes were all easily doable. But I am starting from scratch of getting my group of contacts here built up.

I am able to have all the cabinet drawings all drawn out on paper and to scale, elevations etc, so I know I will have a lot of the ground work done for a cabinet shop, all they will need to do is plug in these to they computer systems, they will not have to "design" the layouts etc, so that should make their process easier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Can you post a picture of what you want.
    Sounds like you want what Dermot Bannon was putting into the last few house in room to improve.

• Advertisement

I don't think I could put up with Dermot Bannon :) on one of my projects

The full height kitchen cabinets in this link and the simple faced veneer of these cabinets is what I am looking to recrate again

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Francisco/80-Laidley-St-94131/home/918041

Advertisement