Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help finding a birth record

Options
  • 12-04-2020 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Pinky,
    I have found a couple of generations over the last few months on Irish Genealogy.
    I'm stuck on one of the men's birth certs, we have is wedding and death cert, no birth cert.
    Any hints or tips.

Apologies if this is wrong thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

/Moved to a new thread.

Give us some further details so we can offer suggestions.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

Thanks.

Born 1847/1848.

Dalkey/Rathdown area.

Passed 1889, aged 42.

Patrick O'Brien or Brien.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Civil registration of births in Ireland began in 1864 so before that you'll be looking for a baptismal record.

Can you provide any other info such as marriage details and his parents names if you have them - his name is quite a common one so it will help in finding him.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Married 19th February 1882.
    Roman Catholic Chapel of Porterstown, Celbridge where his wife came from.
    Died November 1889, Loughlinstown Workhouse.

His father was named William O'Brien.

We need his birthcert or baptism to see his mothers name and try get William details too, wedding Cert etc..

Thanks..

Not having any luck with the baptism.

Have you tried sourcing the parish record of Patrick's marriage on the off-chance it includes his mothers name?

Also, have found anything on Patrick's siblings that might provide an alternative route to his mothers name?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

No I haven't tried that.
    How would i go about getting that?
    And i have no info on any siblings due to the census wasn't around at that time.
    I have sourced his son Patrick Jnr and his siblings because of census records.

Regards.

No I haven't tried that.
    How would i go about getting that?
    And i have no info on any siblings due to the census wasn't around at that time.
    I have sourced his son Patrick Jnr and his siblings because of census records.

Regards.

According to John Grenham it seems like marriage records for the parish are only available locally.

As regards Patrick's siblings have you tried identifying the witnesses to his marriage or the sponsors at his children's baptisms to see if that sheds any light?

Lastly, do you have details of his place of burial and same for his wife lest there be other family members in same plot?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    According to John Grenham it seems like marriage records for the parish are only available locally.

As regards Patrick's siblings have you tried identifying the witnesses to his marriage or the sponsors at his children's baptisms to see if that sheds any light?

Lastly, do you have details of his place of burial and same for his wife lest there be other family members in same plot?

Yes there is witness's on the wedding cert and regards the kids baptisms, I have birth certs I will actually chase the baptism certs now.
    Yes he is buried in Deansgrange Cemetery with his wife and son and one or 2 others.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Wonder why the marriages were never imaged?

It is worth dropping an email to the church and asking nicely. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a bored priest has the books in his house.

Hermy's given really great advice there.

One other thing is to look at the names of his children in order - naming patterns usually indicate the names of parents. So in this case, the second daughter might be the first name of his mother.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Wonder why the marriages were never imaged?

It is worth dropping an email to the church and asking nicely. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a bored priest has the books in his house.

Hermy's given really great advice there.

One other thing is to look at the names of his children in order - naming patterns usually indicate the names of parents. So in this case, the second daughter might be the first name of his mother.

Yes I might actually do that.
    Great help here lads greatly appreciated thank you both.

Regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement