Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extreme exhaustion

Options
  • 12-04-2020 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi there

Just looking for a bit of advice. Am on my third pregnancy, aged late 30s and have just started my third trimester. Since 20 weeks, I have been feeling exhausted after simple things like walking down the road, doing a wash, walking up the stairs things like that, and need to sit down for a few minutes. I’m sleeping well - as well as you can when you’re pregnant- and am fairly well rested. I was tested for gestational diabetes recently but it came back fine but I was nearly disappointed as at least it would have been a reason for this exhaustion!! They said my iron levels were just on the marker of what they should be (11 I think) so the hospital said no harm in taking supplements. I’ve taken them three days so maybe they’ll take a bit to kick in? I also take Pregnacare. Does anyone else have any experience or being that exhausted?! Could it be my age? My first pregnancy was nearly 19 years ago (!) and I have a three year old, so maybe running around after them is it? It just doesn’t feel normal.

Any help, advice etc welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Maybe get your thyroid checked too. I’m on 3rd pregnancy too and I’m exhausted the whole time. My iron is low and I have an underactive thyroid but even with supplements I’m still exhausted try and rest when you can.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's your third pregnancy and you are that bit older with other kids.Don't under-estimate that.If everything looks ok, then it is literally that.My third knocked me for six completely.I had a 3 and 1 year old at the time, age 35 and I was wiped!!It was my last, I can't go through it again.In the third trimester, I literally reached a point where I could go nowhere without my husband, I needed him to do all the lifting of buggies and children.Never mind the breathlessness (and I was relatively fit).I finished work at 36 weeks or so and the kids kept going to the minder-I used to have to lie down for 30 mins or so every day just to get through the day.I remember thinking even after 4 weeks of not having the kids at home full time, I was so tired I would never get through labour.I mentioned it to a midwife and she said yeah, that was fairly standard but you find the energy somewhere!(I did).
    Just go easy on yourself, it's only a few more weeks so take it slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Thanks for the replies guys. I looked up
    That thyroid issue for pregnancy - sounds awful. Hope you’re doing ok. I don’t think I have it thank goodness but thanks for insight.

Yeah it’s probably to do with age, having other kids and working full time (unfortunately I still am, but at home). I felt like I had a bit more energy today so hopefully it’s the start of a turning point and that the iron has kicked in.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Definitely consider taking Iron daily. Speak to your GP. Ferrogard helped my wife greatly with energy levels

Advertisement