Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA test for ancestry

Options
  • 12-04-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all I have always loved history and would love to do a dna test to find out where my ancestors came from as well as any other info that I can find out from my dna where can I get this done and what type of test do I need. Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

https://www.myheritage.com/

Here's one of the sites who does them.
    Not too sure the ins and outs, countries and regions etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hi there,

Welcome to the genealogy forum.

We have a sticky designed for just your sort of question here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057779502

It very much depends on what you want to know but you should be prepared to also do traditional genealogical research to back up and inform your DNA results.

An annual event called DNA day will be happening a couple of weeks and I'd expect to see some cheaper than usual offers to buy a test then, so it's a good time to start.

Pinky

Mod

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A DNA test on it's own may not tell you where you came from.

To best discover your roots traditional genealogy - paper records - are still the way to go.

Having said that, if you do decide to do a test I would recommend the Ancestry test, not just because they have the biggest database, but also because you can then upload from Ancestry for free to My Heritage, Family Tree DNA and GEDmatch, whereas you cannot upload other companies DNA tests to Ancestry.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I too would recommend that you do some research before doing the DNA test.

I did the Ancestry DNA test which was very helpful in proving relationships with ancestors though DNA connections with cousins. I had done a lot of research and had a family tree with over 1000 known ancestors [as in I had proof from various records]; I suspected that others might be ancestors but no documentary proof. When the DNA results came in from 4th cousins I was able to 'prove' some of my hunches, and as it happened some American cousins were very helpful in providing documents and photos.

However, I have 1000s of matches with people who have no family tree up on Ancestry and I have no way of knowing where the link is. It is really frustrating - I have sent messages to some of them and receive no response, or if there is one, I get the 'I only know my grandparents' and nothing more. Sometimes, using the 'shared matches' function I can see who else is related to the mystery cousins, other times, zilch.

Advertisement