Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Synology NAS/Samsung TV with Plex app

Options
  • 12-04-2020 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am running a Synology NAS (DS218+) where I store holiday videos and photos.

I can view both using DS Video and DS photo apps on my Samsung TV. But not both together i.e. the DS Video will only play the vids and photos the photos.

So I put Plex on the NAS and linked it to my TV using the Samsung Plex app.
    It works, but seems to crash a lot. I'm not sure if the Plex app is requiring the NAS to transcode? And I'm not an expert on it anyway.

I've since read that maybe a Nvidia Shield would be good, and happy to consider this.

But before I do, would appreciate if someone could talk me through what the problem I currently have is - is it a limitation of the Plex app on the TV (as the tv itself can play movies no problem from a usb key), or is it a limitation of the NAS (which transcodes live tv for me to my mobile very well).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Or maybe I should just get a shield and play from the NAS as storage of the media files, and ignore Plex..

To elaborate, I'd really like to upgrade from my old WDTV box which had usb storage and from which we looked at holiday vids/photos etc.

Given that I have 4TB on the NAS, I just want the simplest solution to look at that on the TV. But as stated, the DS Video/photo is not straightforward enough as a simple "all media type" player.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PJtharsaile

Watch some YouTube videos on Jellyfin. It won't install natively on the Synology but if your Synology supports Docker you can run it. Alternatively look for a cheap box like a Raspberry Pi that you can run Docker on and use the NAS for mapped storage. Not sure it's sufficiently mature yet but a native installation is also possible

https://www.reddit.com/r/jellyfin/comments/e8puen/hardware_acceleration_for_transcoding_on/

I used to use Plex but once I no longer had screens with less than FHD I didn't need the transcoding any more and didn't bother continuing with it. Jellyfin is a full open source alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I have a Synology NAS too, and I use Emby for as a media player. The Emby server runs on the NAS box and there are clients for Windows, Android, Samsung and LG. I've used it for about 10 years, first on a Windows server and then the Synology box, and I've always been pleased with the experience.

Check it out at https://emby.media/

R

Advertisement