Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange light over Dublin North

Options
  • 12-04-2020 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭

There's a strange light beaming through the clouds from the north of Dublin. Kinda like the bat signal. Any idea what it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

It’s Venus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

No it's a long linear beam coming from the north. Has to be man made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Dublin airport beacon of light for front line workers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not alien-ey enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This. Shining from the new, enormous, ATC tower

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0411/1130022-shine-light-initiative/

• Advertisement

You mean for frontline health workers? Kinda cool

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Unusual orange object in the north-east of the sky at between 20:45 and 21:00pm 11th April 2020. Did any one else see it?.

thinking about the angle I would have been looking, it was north east in direction. The object was moving slowly but then moved over the Irish sea fast. The location of first observation was in swords north county Dublin.

The below picture is a very close example of the object at twilight and the thing I saw didn't have the lens flare around the edges as you can see in the picture, it was quite vivid and in sharp contrast with the blue sky behind it, it was also a little higher up than the example picture shows. The lighting in this picture is as close to the light and object observed at the time.

Any idea's folk's? Did you see anything like this earlier at twilight moving from the swords area on-towards the Irish sea north-easterly?.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

bilbot79 wrote: »
    You mean for frontline health workers? Kinda cool

No it’s for all the Front Line Workers.
    The Supermarket and Shop Workers
    The Truck Drivers
    The Bus Drivers
    The Health Care Staff.
    Aer Lingus Staff.
    Everyone who is keeping our Country functioning, as close to normal as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    No it’s for all the Front Line Workers.
    The Supermarket and Shop Workers
    The Truck Drivers
    The Bus Drivers
    The Health Care Staff.
    Aer Lingus Staff.
    Everyone who is keeping our Country functioning, as close to normal as possible!

Why would any person bring politics/economics into an astronomy thread? :confused:

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Any idea's folk's? Did you see anything like this earlier at twilight moving from the swords area on-towards the Irish sea north-easterly?.

The orange thing? Looks like a kid in a T-shirt?

Sorry. There were a load of Chinese Lanterns floating across the southside after 9pm, but I'm assuming you're talking about something bigger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why would any person bring politics/economics into an astronomy thread? :confused:

What even......HOW is that post political....

I'm dumbfounded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Unusual orange object in the north-east of the sky at between 20:45 and 21:00pm 11th April 2020. Did any one else see it?.

thinking about the angle I would have been looking, it was north east in direction. The object was moving slowly but then moved over the Irish sea fast. The location of first observation was in swords north county Dublin.

The below picture is a very close example of the object at twilight and the thing I saw didn't have the lens flare around the edges as you can see in the picture, it was quite vivid and in sharp contrast with the blue sky behind it, it was also a little higher up than the example picture shows. The lighting in this picture is as close to the light and object observed at the time.

Why where you in a graveyard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Who mentioned politics, apart from Yourself?
    I‘m simply been inclusive and not exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why where you in a graveyard?
    The more important question; why did they use the flash on something a few thousand KM's away?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Here's pictures of it in case anyone is wondering!? Definitely could be mistaken for the Bat light. :pac:

510496.jpg

510594.jpg

Good pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Good pictures

Cheers only started taking proper pictures of the stars past week or so! Looking into it more and more it really is amazing to learn about and learning about the astronomy side of it to is also very gratifying, only discovering things. For instance last week I didn't even know how to locate Polaris. Venus has always intrigued me and I will be snapping that and the moon in a few days depending on the visibility that is.

Advertisement