Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will there be an increase or decrease in atheist numbers

Options
  • 11-04-2020 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭

I heard a guy today in a shop that blames a lot of this virus stuff on people leave behind religion. And how people will be back in droves to mass s . I made a quick b line away from him as far as possible.

it got me thinking about it . im not sure which way it will go yet. my father was talking to the local priest and he says that a lot of people are ringing up looking for prayers etc.

what do you think.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I heard a guy today in a shop that blames a lot of this virus stuff on people leave behind religion. And how people will be back in droves to mass s . I made a quick b line away from him as far as possible.

it got me thinking about it . im not sure which way it will go yet. my father was talking to the local priest and he says that a lot of people are ringing up looking for prayers etc.

what do you think.

At this stage in Ireland, I think we have reacted in a very cohesive and positive manner to the pandemic as a community, taking leadership advice from our government, such as it is, and senior medics. I don't see much visibility or leadership from the church, which is understandable as they're as hamstrung as the rest of us with the lock down. While it is common to turn to religion in times of crisis such as this I think in this instance we've placed our faith in our society first and foremost and would doubt the church would derive any benefit.

Further afield in the states I see that many churches are remaining open and Trump has said he'd like to see churches full on Easter Sunday. This is prone to lead to considerable extra suffering and even death, which it turn is likely to lead to a backlash against right wing religious conservatism and those churches that pushing this agenda. I'd guess this could well lead to increased atheism or a move to more moderate forms of religious practice. It all seems a bit ironic that the home of televangelism is pushing to maintain church attendance.

Where the church might make a comeback is in the post virus and social-distancing recession and religion is an easier sell to the poor and desperate. A more left leaning charitable style of Christianity that emphasizes care of the community by the community also offers tangible benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

People will often turn to religion at times of uncertainty and crisis.

If you’re susceptible you’re susceptible.

The driving factor is irrelevant imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Religion is primarily a communal endeavour, and if - this is a very big "if", but run with it - if the societal esponse to the CoVID-19 pandemic includes a renewed appreciation of the importance of community, a lessening of individualism and a strengthening of communitarian values, then the churches might hope to benefit from that to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,102 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

what do you think.

I think the guy in the shop is an idiot
    The mass-going demographic is the one being killed off the most.
    Younger generations are not going to replace them.
    One priest getting several calls a day looking for prayers will seem like a lot to him, but given he has thousands of parishoners it's not really.

But you're equating religion in general with RCC attendance, and lack of participation in RCC rituals with atheism. There are plenty of believers who never see the inside of a church, and some atheists who regularly do.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

my father was talking to the local priest and he says that a lot of people are ringing up looking for prayers etc.

what do you think.

I'll give you Damo's number, he has much stronger stuff than prayers. Good prices too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement