Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good online Irish retailers

Options
  • 11-04-2020 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi all,

I find myself buying a lot from Amazon lately due to the current Covid19 restrictions. I'd prefer to spend my money in Ireland and support businesses here but either I can't find what I'm looking for on Irish sites or they're ridiculously expensive in comparison.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

It just might help if you gave an idea of what you are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

silver2020 wrote: »
    It just might help if you gave an idea of what you are looking for

And also your definition of a good online store.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

Some recent examples:
    9 in 1 network toolkit (mainly for the cat 5 crimp tool) £18 (Couldn’t find anything similar at that price with Irish retailers)

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser 236ml £5.81 (seems to be in and around €15 with Irish retailers online)

NETGEAR GS308 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch £19.50 (€35+ irish online retailers)

They’re just a few examples but anything I’ve looked for lately has been much the same. Also, all of those with free delivery if order is over £20 and all the Irish retailers charge delivery bumping the above prices even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

I find it hard to buy from Irish retailers as well. Delivery costs are a big issue. When I buying relatively inexpensive items, having to pay an additional €4-€8 for delivery makes it completely uneconomical. I have Amazon Prime so often buy very cheap items on Amazon.

Recently I was looking to buy a book. Easons and Dubray books listed it but it was out of stock and cost €23. I got it for £8.50 on Amazon.
    I've found Kennys Bookshop good before but they never seem to have anything I'm looking for lately.

even though there some other courier options, An Post have a lot to answer for in mkt rape-age imo

not sure if it's possible to be competitive selling online in Ireland unless you're selling expensive items or else items that are so small that they could be sent under the letter charge.

Amazon have the scale to drive a hard bargain but pretty much all other businesses don't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement