Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity leave

Options
  • 11-04-2020 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi

I have 2 weeks of paternity leave to use before the 20th of may 2020 as my baby was bofn nov 20th 2019 and you only have 26 weeks(6 months) to avail of it.

Considering the current unprecedented coronavirus l may not be able to avail of this paternity leave. I have contacted paternity leave section of social welfare but they say the 6 month rule remains unchanged.

Is there anyond else in a similiar posotion?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

What’s stopping you taking it??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

horsebox7 wrote: »
    Hi

I have 2 weeks of paternity leave to use before the 20th of may 2020 as my baby was bofn nov 20th 2019 and you only have 26 weeks(6 months) to avail of it.

Considering the current unprecedented coronavirus l may not be able to avail of this paternity leave. I have contacted paternity leave section of social welfare but they say the 6 month rule remains unchanged.

Is there anyond else in a similiar posotion?

Thanks

Given the purpose of this type of leave is to enable you to look after children, it would seem appropriate in the circumstances and I can't see any reason why it would be otherwise.... it was never intended to be a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,849 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What’s stopping you taking it??

Presumably a medic or supermarket worker.

If that's the case - talk to your manager about alternatives. They may not be able to release you for state-funded time on paternity benefit - but it's only €450, they may be willing to let you have two weeks paid special leave at a later time instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Masala

Is it payable by employer.... thought it was unpaid at work and a claim on the Social.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Masala wrote: »
    Is it payable by employer.... thought it was unpaid at work and a claim on the Social.

Some employers top up

• Advertisement
Advertisement