Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop wont turn on

Options
  • 11-04-2020 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

Just over an hour ago laptop just went dead. The screen went but the backlight was still on, thought it was just a freeze so held power button until it turned off, however it wont turn on since

Iv tried the fixes google and youtube have given me, such as trying to get rid of static, try to power on without battery, without charger but nothing is working. No sign of life whatsoever, only thing working is light for charger on the side so probably not an issue with charger

My next point of call would be to bring it into a shop to try and let them take over but unfortunately none around Sligo seem to be open, and as a final year college student with everything moving online I need a solution soon unfortunately

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I'd imagine it would help if you gave the full model details. Every machine has its own foibles.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Sounds like issue with motherboard.
    The light you mention is in the laptop right? Not the charger brick?
    Data recovery should be possible if needed.
    lynch.ie operate post in / courier it back service

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The laptop is a HP 15 ay-168sa

Yeah the light is in the laptop, basically beside the charge point on the left side. Data recovery wouldnt be a massive issue, everything important is on the OneDrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

It sounds like a motherboard issue to be honest. It mightn't be worth your while to get fixed. If you have the numbers for the shops around Sligo the repair shops will probably meet up and diagnose it for you.

I wouldn't be spending a fortune on it though, might be better off buying new.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cordangan

It could still be the power supply. Battery drained so popping in and out would have no effect. Hopefully this is the issue as it is the cheapest fix. Another reason is perhaps you were using the laptop on the bed and the vents were blocked by blankets causing the laptop to overheat and shutdown to protect itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

if it was charger, then there would be no light beside charging port.
    If it overheated, then usually it would try to power on for a split second.

If motherboard is the issue, what would the general price range be to fix or is that possible at all? It was working perfectly for last 3.5 years hardly slowed down much, be very disappointing to just lose it in an instance. Id be looking at ~600 to get a similar laptop unfortunately

I wasnt in bed using it but sitting on the sofa with a blanket under it over me, so thats why when i saw static being an issue in some of the videos i was hoping it was that

Battery wouldnt be close to drained, at least not by the indicator on the screen in the minutes it crapped the bed anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

If motherboard is the issue, what would the general price range be to fix or is that possible at all? It was working perfectly for last 3.5 years hardly slowed down much, be very disappointing to just lose it in an instance. Id be looking at ~600 to get a similar laptop unfortunately

I wasnt in bed using it but sitting on the sofa with a blanket under it over me, so thats why when i saw static being an issue in some of the videos i was hoping it was that

Battery wouldnt be close to drained, at least not by the indicator on the screen in the minutes it crapped the bed anyway

I wouldn't bother replacing a motherboard.
    Get a new laptop and remove the hard drive from the old one and use as an external drive before copying across what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Sounds like issue with motherboard.
    The light you mention is in the laptop right? Not the charger brick?
    Data recovery should be possible if needed.
    lynch.ie operate post in / courier it back service

I can recommend these guys. Top-class professionals.

I can recommend these guys. Top-class professionals.

Cheers for the recommendation there so. They appear to do no fix no fee so all ill lose is postage if it is screwed

• Advertisement

Cheers for the recommendation there so. They appear to do no fix no fee so all ill lose is postage if it is screwed

usually the fee ends up being pretty high tho with this sort of no fee/ no fix situation if it's fixable!

glasso wrote: »
    usually the fee ends up being pretty high tho with this sort of no fee/ no fix situation if it's fixable!

Luckily a local place was open in the end so its in their hands now, wont know til Tuesday anyway but thanks to everyone for their help here

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cordangan

Well what was the diagnosis?

Processor is damaged is what I was told. Can't be changed for a new one because it's soldered on mainboard.

Disappointed because laptop was only 3.5 years old, don't know what could cause that

New one ordered from Dell, said on product page delivery in 3-5 days. Once ordered it said 8th May. Delightful

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Processor is damaged is what I was told.

Thats a guess at best. CPU failures happen but at very very low rates and any other IC going dead short on the board would be plenty to take the whole unit out.

ED E wrote: »
    Thats a guess at best. CPU failures happen but at very very low rates and any other IC going dead short on the board would be plenty to take the whole unit out.

Maybe, as Glasso pointed out them being a no fee place may mean a high fix cost, and the guy could have only taken a quick look and maybe decided its not worth his time

Might bring it to another place in a couple weeks time just for a second set of eyes

Advertisement