Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course Points

Options
  • 10-04-2020 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just wondering if anyone has any idea of the impact this delay might have on course points? Obviously, the virus has created a massive amount of issues for students and has dramatically impacted the exams this year and I was wondering if the increase/decrease in points may be curbed as a result?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The points are determined by the number of people applying for and the number of places on each course. Neither has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

My guess is that they’ll mark easier to both help the reduced class time and to reduce the number of appeals after, resulting in a rise in points.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It doesn't really matter whether the points go up or down, as spurious said it's supply and demand.

If there are 20 places on the course and 40 applying, the top 20 (points wise) will get the offers.

If, as you think (and I don't necessarily agree with you), the LC is marked that little bit more leniently because of the chaos this year, then everyone's points will go up that little bit. And that means that the course points advertised (i.e. the points achieved by candidate no. 20 on that list) will go up that little bit too.

But it still should be roughly the same 20 people who get offers, provided they have kept their heads, done their work and tried not to get too stressed by all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 campmed

points should remain the same as every other year and the bell curve should maintain the grade distribution not too different from what was seen in previous years. Otherwise the people who are reapplying using previous leaving cert results would be at a disadvantage. That is if the Leaving cert is going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Points are likely to go down because less people will be coming here for college from abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

jdon72 wrote: »
    Points are likely to go down because less people will be coming here for college from abroad.

I don’t think they apply through the CAO and colleges probably aren’t flexible in regards to changing ratios. I know a course in Trinity that was allocated as 25 - CAO, 50 - international students. Some years they don’t have 50 international students but it’s always 25 CAO

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

noa2020 wrote: »
    I don’t think they apply through the CAO and colleges probably aren’t flexible in regards to changing ratios. I know a course in Trinity that was allocated as 25 - CAO, 50 - international students. Some years they don’t have 50 international students but it’s always 25 CAO

If they don't have any international students this year, they might be glad to take Irish students and take their registration fees rather than having no fees for those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 campmed

There will also be a reduction in students going abroad from Ireland, meaning more of these will apply to Irish universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

If they don't have any international students this year, they might be glad to take Irish students and take their registration fees rather than having no fees for those places.

Absolutely, but I wouldn’t be banking on any major points drop because of that.

Advertisement