Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankensteining 2 bikes together?

Options
  • 10-04-2020 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Apologies if this is a very stupid question, but is it possible to frankenstein these 2 bikes together? I don't know much about the workings of bikes, so I apologise if I'm using the wrong terminologies here also...

I have an old Carrera Subway 1, 20 inch frame, 27.5" wheels, 21 speed, V-Brakes

I also have a Carrera Subway ltd edition, 26" wheels, 21 speed, Mechanical disk brakes, not sure of the frame size, it seems a size smaller but this may also just be because of the smaller wheels.

Anyway, I much preferred the subway 1, but the drivetrain(?) has very worn cogs, the cassette is very worn too, also the V-Brakes are knackered. My Subway ltd edition is in good condition, but I just don't like it nearly as much.

Would it be possible to replace the drivetrain, cassette, brakes on the knackered Subway 1 with those parts from my Subway Ltd edition? And if so, is it a massive undertaking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

You could swap the drivetrain but youd need to buy the tools. Youd have to buy new v brakes. What kind or riding are you doing you might be better of buying a decent used bike on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

tand01s.jpg

i was hoping for something like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

Tony04 wrote: »
    You could swap the drivetrain but youd need to buy the tools. Youd have to buy new v brakes. What kind or riding are you doing you might be better of buying a decent used bike on adverts.

I'll be buying something else when the lockdown is over, but the Subway Ltd edition isn't doing it for me at all (maybe it's the 26" wheels??), so if there were any way of getting to older bike fuctional in the meantime, I'd give it a go.

Is there no way to swap the disk brakes onto Subway 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

No, you can't put disc brakes on a bike designed for V brakes.
    Even if it were possible, you would also have to swop the wheels over.

Advertisement