Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bee identification

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The second picture is a hoverfly, not a bee. Note the short antennae and big eyes, a bee would have the opposite. The burrows could well be mining bees, you’ll have to stalk them and try for a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The holes could also be bumble bee burrows I think, not honey bees anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Thanks for the advice. Definitely not bumble bee holes I’ve been watching them, what’s coming out looks similar to the one on the dandelion. I must get a closer look tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Did a little more investigating today and found these little guys coming out of the holes. They’re not as big or fat as queen bumblebees. I’m guessing a kind of solitary bee? The thorax is all ginger, shiny black abdomen with stripes of fur and very distinct pollen baskets on their legs.
    Any suggestions what they could bee? Pun intended :pac:

509173.jpeg

The abdomen is shiny although that hasn’t come out in the photo as it was taken in shade.
    509174.jpeg

509175.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

They are some form of Mining Bee, possibly Andrena bicolor.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Sorry for reviving an old thread. I've no pictures, because by the time I got my phone, the bee had flown away.
    The only way I can describe what I saw was a bee/wasp hybrid. I know that's not what it was. But if you can imagine a bumblebee with a wasp abdomen.
    A furry blonde bee with the markings of a wasp with the abdomen.
    Any description I Google doesn't match with what I saw, any pictures are bees I'd recognise.

I've never seen anything like this pretty little bee before. Any ideas?

Sorry for the not so great description.

Advertisement