Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear mounted 4 bike rack?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

I had to make the same decision as you only two months ago, 4 bikes no towbar.
    I had a rear mounted carrier that I faffed about with on every journey. I grew to absolutely hate it.

So I bit the bullet and got a towbar fitted (375 euro on a Skoda Octavia), then bought a Thule hangon 9708. The difference is night and day, so much easier and quicker to use.

If you feel that you will get the use out of it, I would definitely recommend going down the towbar mounted option. It has definitely got us out on more cycles as it's just so easy to pop on and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Will only use a handful of timesa year, so will not be getting a towbar. Thanks for input.

After looking online it seems the above options not suited to my car. So am looking at option of a roof rack mounted system.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kindalen wrote: »
    Hi all, I have the 2015-2019 hatchback model of the Skoda Superb and am looking at the best solution to transport 4 bikes(2 adults/2 kids) a few times a year(holidays and days out). I do not have a tow bar or roof rack. What would my best options be?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hollywood-Racks-F4-Heavy-Black/dp/B000QJ8C1Y/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2Y1OJAYXEC30Z&dchild=1&keywords=4+bike+rack+for+car&qid=1586509085&sprefix=4+bik%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-5

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PERUZZO-VENEZIA-4-BIKE-CARRIER/dp/B0020HRUK4/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2Y1OJAYXEC30Z&dchild=1&keywords=4+bike+rack+for+car&qid=1586509338&sprefix=4+bik%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-7

Am worried something like the above would damage paint work? I have no experience in this area, so any advice would be great.

Thanks.

I have the Hollywood one. Used it on a Citroen C4 and Fiat Panda with no issues.

Used to go to France with 4 heavy bikes.
    Have it for sale now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I went down the roof rack route for carrying my bikes. (Will only need to carry max 2 at any time.) and kinda regret not going for the towbar mounted. It’s a bit of a faf and I am paranoid about going through a low barrier and totalling my bikes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

It’s more costly for sure but after years of lugging bikes around if you can possibly afford it I’d fit a towbar.
    I throw one on the roof, two the odd time on another car but for carrying 3 or 4 bikes, a towbar fitted rack is just so much better

Edited to add you do need to watch out for low hanging trees etc with roof mounted, so easy to do serious damage

Thanks for all the advice. It seems the towbar is the only really practical solution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i bought a car with a tow bar. Made complete sense then. I use it for the bikes and towing a small trailer with turf/firewood from the outlaws.

How much are tow bars? c. €400 fitted?

Be Around that price alright.

If anyone knows of a 4 bike towbar carrier, that tilts, for sale please pm me. Thanks.

Advertisement