Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for cleaning mould off a bike?

Options
  • 09-04-2020 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Had my road bike sitting in a steel shed over the winter and it's picked up quite a bit of mould particularly on the saddle and handlebars. Any tips for getting rid of it so I can get it road ready for when all this lockdown passes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

lfc79 wrote: »
    Had my road bike sitting in a steel shed over the winter and it's picked up quite a bit of mould particularly on the saddle and handlebars. Any tips for getting rid of it so I can get it road ready for when all this lockdown passes?

Is the mould on the handlebar tape? If so, I'd just replace the tape.

For the saddle, you could start with soap and water to clean it, and a mild solution of bleach to try kill the mould

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Need to call Barry Scott.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Sounds like you need a new bike.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Vinegar and toothbrush or a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lfc79

Ashamed to say the bike is less than a year old....I know, i know...

Gave it a good scrub here and a bit of diluted bleach on the saddle and handlebars and that seems to have made a big improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I use to have white handlebar tape on an old racer and the it obviously got manky. I found baby wipes great for cleaning them.

Advertisement