Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Otters on dodder / liffey?

Options
  • 09-04-2020 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend a decent place to see otters in and around dublin city centre, ideally somewhere they've seen one recently, would like to bring kid otter hunting some dusk

I know they have been seen on dodder, has anyone seen one recently? I also heard anecdotally of them being on the stretch of liffey between war memorial and chapelozid but haven't confirmed it
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

They can be seen on the Dodder, but it really is a matter of luck as to whether or not you get to see them. I've walked the stretch from Milltown to Bushy Park loads of times, and only glimpsed them once or twice, despite going out at the right time of day, in areas I've found spraints or seen them recently etc. They're not an easy animal to go out and see, even if they've been seen somewhere the day before.

They get reported around Heuston station on the Liffey too occasionally.

Might be better off going Kingfisher 'hunting' and if you see an Otter it's a bonus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Definitely. Kingfishers are class too, though blink and you miss them.

They can on occasion be visible. Blind boy talked about one recently that he regularly saw. I think I remember seeing reports of a family down near the quays in the liffey where it's tidal. I was on the suir blueway recently and the info sign at the start said it was one of the best places in europe to see them. I kind of thought that was a blurb but low and behold I spent 20 minutes watching one so close I could see him under the water.

If anyone else has specific holy grail of a place you can see them in dublin, or they have seem them recently, please post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

As said above it's complete pot luck on whether you'll see one or not. I walk along the quays to work every morning between 7.30 and 7.50 and have seen them maybe 15 times max over the last 3 or 4 years, anywhere between Heuston Station and Capel St bridge.

Last time I saw one was about 6 weeks ago swimming upstream. I've seen a pair of them splashing about under Church St bridge and on one occassion saw three up beside the Guinness brewery.

Wow, I can't believe they're at church street! The water is so low and dirty there when the tide is out. Are you sure they weren't seals which I've seen up the liffey past island bridge? I presume you are from your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Otters 100%

I was shocked myself the first time I saw one

• Advertisement

Probably good eating there, used to be tons of fat mullet lolling around there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

a148pro wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a decent place to see otters in and around dublin city centre, ideally somewhere they've seen one recently, would like to bring kid otter hunting some dusk

I know they have been seen on dodder, has anyone seen one recently? I also heard anecdotally of them being on the stretch of liffey between war memorial and chapelozid but haven't confirmed it
    Thanks in advance

Seen one about 3 weeks ago on bridge beside war memorial just chilling on the pillar then jumped in and swam away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I know several places to see them but I can pm you as I dont want public to see the locations. Plenty of lads like club members would love to get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I know several places to see them but I can pm you as I dont want public to see the locations. Plenty of lads like club members would love to get rid of them

I'd love to know! I walk the Dodder a lot but get to see them once a year on average

• Advertisement

Seen one about 3 weeks ago on bridge beside war memorial just chilling on the pillar then jumped in and swam away.

As in island bridge? Super i'll keep an eye out. That's a very nice stretch with the weeping willows

Have tried to pm but I'm not sure it's working. if you can pm me suggestions it would be great thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

a148pro wrote: »
    As in island bridge? Super i'll keep an eye out. That's a very nice stretch with the weeping willows

I'm getting my parks mixed up it was actually closer to Croppies Acre Memorial Park, he was at Watling St bridge.

Hilariously, after ten years of living by the canal, walking and paying reasonably close attention to it, but just two weeks after posting the above, myself and my son were treated to an otter ballet last night, just a couple of hundred yards from our house!

Went out for late evening walk and he asked by chance to go along the canal, heard an animal squeaking, thought it was maybe a fox catching a chick, then heard a stick breaking and it was obvious it was a large animal from the sound. Said to my son it was either a fox, badger or otter.

Waited a minute, more squeaking and then one popped out right in front of us, width of canal away. Another joined him and the two proceeded to do the otter equivalent of morning stretches in front of us for around 10 minutes. I thought they must be mating, making lots of noise and turning and turning round and round at the surface of the water.

Then one headed off and from the sound of sticks seemed to go back into the den. The other continued to splash around at the water's surface calling, a kind of squeak mixed with a cackle, I have it on video if anyone interested. Was really loud, you would have heard it across the road. He 100% wasn't fishing, I've seen them fish before and they're under water for about 30 - 45 seconds then pop up, then back down. He was just turning round and round at the water's surface, calling and splashing.

After a while more stick noises and was joined by the other (and possibly by one or two smaller otters, it was hard to tell). Then the two of them headed West along the canal. Followed for a bit, saw one climb out under the bridge and pop back in.

Could not believe it! Me posting on here for tips on the Dodder and they were right under my nose!

Main otter was very big by the way so clearly doing well. My father checked a book and it seems they mate at any time and can be noisy when encouraging their cubs into the water, so that may explain the noise and what we thought we saw.

Couldn't believe how loud they were, always thought of them as shy but this was really attracting attention.

Saw foxes as well, immediately above them, at one point thought maybe the foxes were going into the den but they'd be no match for an otter.

Bats, rats, foxes and otters within an hour in Dublin city centre, not a bad show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cowichan

When I was a Kid we lived in the Tolka cottages. Our cottage backed on to the river and many a time we were flooded. But on one occasion we had a Kingfisher fly into our cottage and land on our kitchen table. I had never seen anything so beautiful. I just sat and stared at it until after about five minutes it just flew out the way it came in.

Advertisement