Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplace incident and concern re safety

Options
  • 08-04-2020 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some advice.

I work in social care working in a residential unit. Service users are often dealing with mental health problems, addictions etc. Aggressive behaviour is the norm, nothing physical just angry people in a heightened state. Being hated is pretty much part of the job.

While at work last week my car was burnt out. It was a deliberate attack and cctv show someone enter the premises and avoid direct line of the cameras to get to the car so its someone who knows the place well. He also passed a number of other vehicles to get to mine so I believe it was a personal attack against me. Cctv quality isn't great, gardai say there is not much hope of identifying the culprit. I believe I know who it was but can't prove it, this person has made a threat against me in recent weeks.

So now I'm without a car and due to go back to work next week and very anxious about returning. I will now have to get public transport and walk through the extensive, remote grounds of the property to get to work, grounds with no cameras. I don't feel safe, I don't believe any precautions will be put in place in the meantime.

Can anyone give me any guidance. I'm due to have a phone call later today with my manager to discuss my return and I'm worried about being railroaded. They are taking the line it was a one off incident and I've nothing to be worried about. They have dismissed the threats made against me as "all talk". I've no evidence of these threats so gardai not an option there.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I’m so sorry this happened to you.

Just because you have no evidence of the threats doesn’t mean you shouldn’t report them to Gardai have them on the record. In fact I recommend you do so that you can track any patterns etc.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Batgurl wrote: »
    I’m so sorry this happened to you.

Just because you have no evidence of the threats doesn’t mean you shouldn’t report them to Gardai have them on the record. In fact I recommend you do so that you can track any patterns etc.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

I did mention it when guards took my statement after the fire and they said they will look into it but its my word against his. I've more or less accepted that no one will be held responsible for it and I've somewhat made peace with that. My concern is ensuring management take it seriously enough to put in new safety measures and what I can reasonably expect in terms of this.

I've more or less accepted I have to return to work next week and I'm very anxious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

It may help to think about what measures would alleviate your anxiety (and protect you, of course) and propose these to your manager. It's always better to go in with a plan. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,117 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What did the manager say on the call ? just the general gist not specifics.

What I’d be expecting and wanting to hear....

-We are doing a full security review of the facility, inside and out.

-We want to make and WILL make a 100% safe and sterile parking area that is only accessible to staff members and their vehicles.

Diziet wrote: »
    It may help to think about what measures would alleviate your anxiety (and protect you, of course) and propose these to your manager. It's always better to go in with a plan. Best of luck.

I get you but.... it’s up to the manager to identify the problem, come with solutions and implement them... too often in situations like this I’ve seen managers throw it back on the employees... “ ok guys you need to help us here, how can we keep you and your property more safe? “... my answer to that... “ by doing your fûcking job and ensuring that staff and vehicles are safe on site, that’s why you are getting the big bucks !”

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    What did the manager say on the call ? just the general gist not specifics.

What I’d be expecting and wanting to hear....

-We are doing a full security review of the facility, inside and out.

-We want to make and WILL make a 100% safe and sterile parking area that is only accessible to staff members and their vehicles.

My main concern when we spoke initially was lack of security measures in the grounds. The walk from street to door is approx half a kilometer and its pretty quite so plenty of scope for someone to be attacked, indeed we've had people mugged on site before, one person had a man expose himself to her etc.

There is a cctv camera at the main entrance but its not working. The next camera is when you reach the front door. So for that walk up you are on your own.

I was due to talk to management yesterday but its been shelved until next week.

I'm more or less not going to go back until I can be assured there are adequate working cameras on site and/or a security guard.

I just really want to know legally if they can suspend me or something for not returning to work.

eviltwin wrote: »
    My main concern when we spoke initially was lack of security measures in the grounds. The walk from street to door is approx half a kilometer and its pretty quite so plenty of scope for someone to be attacked, indeed we've had people mugged on site before, one person had a man expose himself to her etc.

There is a cctv camera at the main entrance but its not working. The next camera is when you reach the front door. So for that walk up you are on your own.

I'm more or less not going to go back until I can be assured there are adequate working cameras on site and/or a security guard.

I just really want to know legally if they can suspend me or something for not returning to work.

The worry is... if people have been mugged before and the exposure incident and STILL the company do not have adequate interest to do something like sending an email or lifting a phone (which is all that needs doing) to the cctv company to come and fix the camera... it’s pretty indicative of how much they care about the employees there. It would take the average person about 6 minutes to walk half a kilometer. A lot can happen in that time and as you outlined a lot HAS happened...

Try and have a meeting with them as a group, outline your concern as a group. Strength in numbers.

I don’t know regarding discipline maybe someone with an insight can advise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 RossMeath

I'm by no means an expert in this, but I really think they would be foolish to suspend you for not returning to work. This is a traumatic event, have you looked into sick pay for a while? Obviously I don't know your particulars, but an event like this would spook anyone to the point of severe anxiety. If your employer takes such a hard stance I would be consulting potential legal action.

Were you debriefed thoroughly following the incident?

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I had a friend working as a Doctor in the HSE and this exact thing happened, it's a really horrible invasive thing to happen to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Fire with fire, if you know who did it and the Gardai aren't interested do the same to them.

Fire with fire, if you know who did it and the Gardai aren't interested do the same to them.

You’ll still have no car, a shïtty disinterested employer and some whack job and his family looking to get revenge....most likely... and even probably the Gardai to deal with.

Just try find a better and safer work environment / employer when all this has passed.

• Advertisement

No. I have a good idea who did it but not proof. Even if I did know I wouldn't do something like that because I'm not a scumbag.

Thanks for the serious suggestions. I'm taking some time off, no choice really because the premises isn't serviced by public transport. Once things get back to normal I will be looking for another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Will your insurance be paying up for the value of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Whosasnoozie

Looking for some advice.

I work in social care working in a residential unit. Service users are often dealing with mental health problems, addictions etc. Aggressive behaviour is the norm, nothing physical just angry people in a heightened state. Being hated is pretty much part of the job.

While at work last week my car was burnt out. It was a deliberate attack and cctv show someone enter the premises and avoid direct line of the cameras to get to the car so its someone who knows the place well. He also passed a number of other vehicles to get to mine so I believe it was a personal attack against me. Cctv quality isn't great, gardai say there is not much hope of identifying the culprit. I believe I know who it was but can't prove it, this person has made a threat against me in recent weeks.

So now I'm without a car and due to go back to work next week and very anxious about returning. I will now have to get public transport and walk through the extensive, remote grounds of the property to get to work, grounds with no cameras. I don't feel safe, I don't believe any precautions will be put in place in the meantime.

Can anyone give me any guidance. I'm due to have a phone call later today with my manager to discuss my return and I'm worried about being railroaded. They are taking the line it was a one off incident and I've nothing to be worried about. They have dismissed the threats made against me as "all talk". I've no evidence of these threats so gardai not an option there.

Thanks

Oh god, that is horrific.
    I work in very similar environment and know exactly how challenging it is and can definitely relate to being hated as part of my job and safety concerns being a huge issue.
    Have you a HR person you could talk to?
    Other options would be health and safety leave? Or transfer to another service if there is one?
    I'm disgusted that the employers are so dismissive of it. Do they take trauma informed care approach? because there's trauma in staff too! Hope it works out for you! And don't let employers dismiss you. Call health and safety authority too for legal advice !!!

Advertisement