Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

300K to invest, long term

  • 07-04-2020 9:37pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭ AmberGold


    Sold some stock in a safe haven bluechip that was seeing slow growth. Emptying out the 0% savings account which I should have done years ago.

    Waiting for as long as it takes to see how bad things go as I don’t think recent increases are reflective of anything significant.

    Thinking about the usual, Workday, Cisco, Apple, MS. How would you structure this and any companies I should be considering.

    Right now I’m thinking, 5% Crypto, 50% US Tech, 20% Airline and 25% Oil and Gas.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ MugsGame


    You already know what I think :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭ AmberGold


    MugsGame wrote: »
    You already know what I think :)

    😂 might sound like a good situation but pretty fu**ed with a shed load of negative equity on other stuff that I won’t be paying down for a long time


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭ Browney7


    If you have 300 grand to play around with I can't see why you're posting in here!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭ AmberGold


    Browney7 wrote: »
    If you have 300 grand to play around with I can't see why you're posting in here!!

    Duh, is this not the Investment and Markets forum, some seasoned investors on here that play the markets a lot more than I.

    I might also add that back in the heady days of the Celtic tiger I paid for investment advice and was totally screwed, this put me off it for many years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ Zenify


    What's it for? Retirement ?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭ bilbot79


    Buy the index not the company


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭ AmberGold


    Zenify wrote: »
    What's it for? Retirement ?

    Paying down a long term interest only mortgage on a PPR


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭ AmberGold


    Zenify wrote: »
    What's it for? Retirement ?

    Paying down a long term interest only mortgage on a PPR


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭ maestroamado


    AmberGold wrote: »
    Sold some stock in a safe haven bluechip that was seeing slow growth. Emptying out the 0% savings account which I should have done years ago.

    Waiting for as long as it takes to see how bad things go as I don’t think recent increases are reflective of anything significant.

    Thinking about the usual, Workday, Cisco, Apple, MS. How would you structure this and any companies I should be considering.

    Right now I’m thinking, 5% Crypto, 50% US Tech, 20% Airline and 25% Oil and Gas.


    Where do you live?
    I assume its cash and its at home...


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭ AmberGold


    Where do you live?
    I assume its cash and its at home...

    I’ll pm you the address, get yer shotgun ready


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭ deathbomber


    AmberGold wrote: »
    I’ll pm you the address, get yer shotgun ready
    Bitcoin all the way for me, easily double it within a year


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭ AmberGold


    Bitcoin all the way for me, easily double it within a year

    Don’t have the nads for that


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,168 ✭✭✭✭ Geuze


    AmberGold wrote: »
    Thinking about the usual, Workday, Cisco, Apple, MS. How would you structure this and any companies I should be considering.

    Right now I’m thinking, 5% Crypto, 50% US Tech, 20% Airline and 25% Oil and Gas.

    20% seems a lot into one sector, aviation.


  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ XMG


    It’s a dangerous time to be putting your money anywhere but under the mattress. But seriously, there is no logic to the market ATM, you could try calling the bottom or near it but usually never works out that way. A lot of people are focused on the virus which has pushed the recession to one side for the moment so there’s that. Oil is a mess, the Russians / Saudis don’t want to play ball. You could take a gamble on Gikead or Moderna being first past the post or similarly red or black on the roulette wheel...Same odds. I day trade and this whole fiasco has been great for me from a making money point of view but there’s not much I would play long term now or in the immediate future. Then weird stuff going on like Morgan Stanley taking a chunk of $TOPS and the Saudis buying a chunk of $CCL, Sometimes no trade is the best trade. I wouldn’t be in a rush anyway, the market isn’t going anywhere.


  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ XMG


    Oh, and Buffet sold a load of airline stock there the other day, I forget which one but that should tell you something, what, I don’t know 😊😊


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007


    AmberGold wrote: »
    Paying down a long term interest only mortgage on a PPR

    So how much do you want to pay for the lesson? 30% sound OK? You’ve already got a high risk profile and now you want to double down on it heading into, what if the economist are even only 50% of is likely to see the world economy contract by about 15% and the possibility of high inflation due to the amount of cash being pumped into the economies around the world...


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭ maestroamado


    Money is a great tool and that's just what it is, a tool for life.
    Personally i think extreme unreasonable wealth should be discouraged.
    They say money lasts 3 generations.
    Generation to make it, generation to enjoy it, a generation to blow it.
    I would invest some of it in the 3rd option.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007


    XMG wrote: »
    Oh, and Buffet sold a load of airline stock there the other day, I forget which one but that should tell you something, what, I don’t know ����

    It does not really tell you anything - you don’t even know if it was Buffet that pulled the trigger nor the reasoning behind it.... Buffet no longer manages the entire portfolio, he is now one of three managers and on top of that their business is “big cat” insurance and the portfolio is there primarily to back that up. And right now we are very much in to “big cat” so they may be forced to go to cash ASAP to cover the payouts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭ garrettod


    AmberGold wrote: »
    Sold some stock in a safe haven bluechip that was seeing slow growth. Emptying out the 0% savings account which I should have done years ago.

    Waiting for as long as it takes to see how bad things go as I don’t think recent increases are reflective of anything significant.

    Thinking about the usual, Workday, Cisco, Apple, MS. How would you structure this and any companies I should be considering.

    Right now I’m thinking, 5% Crypto, 50% US Tech, 20% Airline and 25% Oil and Gas.

    Hi,

    When is your interest only homeloan due to mature?

    What rate is the homeloan on, and is it a tracker?

    What age are you?

    Have you dependents? If so, how many and what ages?

    Have you other savings?

    Have your a pension and are you making regular contributions into it? Are you making maximum contributions, to ensure that your are getting the maximum tax relief available to you?

    What income sources do you have and how stable are they?

    What tax bracket are you in, for income tax purposes?

    Any other significant creditors or debts that you need to repay and if so, how much, what interest rate are the debts costing you, are there regular repayments due on them and when do they mature?

    I would like to see responses to those questions before even beginning to suggest any potential investments to you, to be honest.

    If you asked me to shoot from the hip though, I would say that your proposing a fairly risky strategy, if you were to proceed with the split suggested in your opening post, with a very decent chance of losing money, IMHO.

    Thanks,

    G.



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭ AmberGold


    garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

    When is your interest only homeloan due to mature?

    What rate is the homeloan on, and is it a tracker?

    What age are you?

    Have you dependents? If so, how many and what ages?

    Have you other savings?

    Have your a pension and are you making regular contributions into it? Are you making maximum contributions, to ensure that your are getting the maximum tax relief available to you?

    What income sources do you have and how stable are they?

    What tax bracket are you in, for income tax purposes?

    Any other significant creditors or debts that you need to repay and if so, how much, what interest rate are the debts costing you, are there regular repayments due on them and when do they mature?

    I would like to see responses to those questions before even beginning to suggest any potential investments to you, to be honest.

    If you asked me to shoot from the hip though, I would say that your proposing a fairly risky strategy, if you were to proceed with the split suggested in your opening post, with a very decent chance of losing money, IMHO.

    Garrett,

    Would prefer to respond on PM on some of this, pm sent.

    Thanks...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭ kerryjack


    Might be a good time to buy some good agricultural land you might get 30 acres. Like my old lad used to say buy land my son because they are not making anymore of it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭ cute geoge


    Land wont give as much as a return as house property ,even if you farming top land the % return will not match renting out a house so forget about shares bricks and mortar all the way


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭ kerryjack


    cute geoge wrote: »
    Land wont give as much as a return as house property ,even if you farming top land the % return will not match renting out a house so forget about shares bricks and mortar all the way
    Na you just don't want to see the boys with the suits coming down the country buying parcels of land that you want to buy next to your farm. I believe in strange times like this that land is still a great investment.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭ 10000maniacs


    XMG wrote: »
    It’s a dangerous time to be putting your money anywhere but under the mattress. But seriously, there is no logic to the market ATM, you could try calling the bottom or near it but usually never works out that way. A lot of people are focused on the virus which has pushed the recession to one side for the moment so there’s that. Oil is a mess, the Russians / Saudis don’t want to play ball. You could take a gamble on Gikead or Moderna being first past the post or similarly red or black on the roulette wheel...Same odds. I day trade and this whole fiasco has been great for me from a making money point of view but there’s not much I would play long term now or in the immediate future. Then weird stuff going on like Morgan Stanley taking a chunk of $TOPS and the Saudis buying a chunk of $CCL, Sometimes no trade is the best trade. I wouldn’t be in a rush anyway, the market isn’t going anywhere.

    Put it in the bank. The market is too volaile. Irish society is flooded with stories of people losing their shirt in stocks. Its enough already with the state pension for a relatively comfortable retirement. I sometimes get a kick out of hearing about greedy investors getting stung because the wanted to sqeeze an extra 30% out of their capitol. I remember friend of mine not taking my advice and buying an apartment in Romania 12 years ago. Its now worth a quarter of what he paid. Greed is bad.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Zascar


    Bitcoin all the way for me, easily double it within a year
    AmberGold wrote: »
    Don’t have the nads for that

    Take 10% and put it in Bitcoin - or go all out and buy 10x. Look how well it has weathered the storm compared to many stocks the last few weeks.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007


    Put it in the bank.

    With the strong possibility of high inflation and low interest rates... putting it in the bank is not a risk free option...
    Its enough already with the state pension for a relatively comfortable retirement.

    The state pension system is a "pay as you go" system that is, like all European schemas, about to run out of steam and will have to be replaced. Assuming Ireland adapts the same approach as the rest of the EU and we have inflation, then it may well not be enough for a comfortable retirement....
    I sometimes get a kick out of hearing about greedy investors getting stung because the wanted to sqeeze an extra 30% out of their capitol.

    You confuse speculators with investors.....

    The reality is that there are no safe options...


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭ Irish_rat


    Bank is safer than the market at the min, how about the tax free prize bonds. Would be going low risk anyway until normality returns which could be next year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭ krissovo


    The market is quite nice now if you are setup for day trading. Day trade tech with 25% of your cash for some quick wins with the volatility while you pick some long term bankers in oil/gas / airlines & leisure, do your homework with who will survive and you will do well.


Advertisement