Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning piles of scrub this week?

Options
  • 07-04-2020 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Over the past year I’ve been tidying up a small field that had a fair amount of overhanging branches and briars. It’s in three piles and without any machinery burning is really the only way to get rid of it and this week is forecast to have light winds. It’s my first time doing this and I’m just a bit nervous that with no rain for the past while the nearby trees and scrub might go up in flames.
    Does anyone have any advice, Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Bili wrote: »
    Over the past year I’ve been tidying up a small field that had a fair amount of overhanging branches and briars. It’s in three piles and without any machinery burning is really the only way to get rid of it and this week is forecast to have light winds. It’s my first time doing this and I’m just a bit nervous that with no rain for the past while the nearby trees and scrub might go up in flames.

I don't think it's legal anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Well if you're any bit unsure or nervous about it then my advice would be to leave it alone. Scrub and brush etc is very dry at the moment and it only takes one rogue gust of wind to change direction and fan the flames towards something else that wasn't intended for burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I don't think it's legal anymore.

It is, you ask the Co council for permission to burn on or between certain dates, when they grant it, you have to inform the fire service each day when you are starting to burn and again when you finish

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’d say emergency services have enough yo be doing at the moment without being on call in case an uneccessary fire runs out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It is, you ask the Co council for permission to burn on or between certain dates, when they grant it, you have to inform the fire service each day when you are starting to burn and again when you finish

No burning allowed between 1st march and 1st september

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

wrangler wrote: »

When did that rule come in, I got permission on several occasions last April and May.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

wrangler wrote: »

That's only for burning bushes still standing, if ya cut them prior to the 1st of march you can burn them whenever

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

If you just leave it in the piles it will all rot and disappear within about 3 years anyway so there is no real need to burn it per se. If you burn firewood you can break up small branches for kindling in a dry spell after they've been cut and have been drying for about a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ganmo wrote: »
    That's only for burning bushes still standing, if ya cut them prior to the 1st of march you can burn them whenever

Here's the regulations in Westmeath

''Burning of bushes is prohibited from 1 Mar - 31 Aug. If a farmer wishes to apply to burn bushes outside of these dates then he/she must complete the attached form and submit it to the Environment Dept., Westmeath County Council, County Buildings, Mullingar''.

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/ourservices/environment/pollutioninvestigationcontrol/burning/

so no burning here from 1 mar - 31 aug

Advertisement