Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME school placement

Options
  • 07-04-2020 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there,
    I am currently completing a PME with Hibernia. I have completed SP1 and will have SP2 in October (4 weeks of teaching 4 lessons a day). Advanced SP will be in February. ASP will be ten weeks and can be broken down two ways. Two blocks of 5 weeks with a week of observation at the start of both or 10 weeks in 1 class with observation at the start and a week of reflection at the end. I have completed the middle class already so my options for the two placements will be with infants and 5th/6th. I have a baby who will be 1 in November. Basically my question is: Which class do you recommend for both placements taking into account I will only have evenings when my partner returns from work to complete lesson plans and I'll have the hour from when infants leave to do some work too. I'm looking at the most manageable way to do placements! Any parents out there who have completed a PME with a young child I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Without wanting to sound rude, surely it's a case of whichever class your host school is happy to give you? I know that in my school we've already taken on a good few students for next year.

If I had the choice I would probably go for 5th/6th first, particularly as at the start of the year infants are only settling in.

For the ASP I would try to get a 5 week block and a 5 week block rather than 10 weeks in one class. That's a huge chunk of the school year and many teachers are not happy to give that to a student, so it may be harder to find a host school with that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mims.xo

Hey thanks for the response. I have two schools lined up both of which were my primary schools when I was a child and I have a good relationship with both so both principals have said I can do placement when I want and whichever class I want!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Only seeing this now, PME student with Hibernia too, was on ASP until the schools closed a few weeks ago. I too would recommend leaving infants until last and I would say that is what 70% of my class did (I left the middle classes until last). Some have said ten weeks with the senior classes can be quite difficult especially if they have their confirmation during that time too. I found the planning much easier for infants too, so if you are going to be teaching for 10 weeks full days then I personally would rather be planning for infants. Feel free to PM if you have any questions at any stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 trasani

Hi Mims.x0,

I am hoping to start my PME this Autumn, could I please ask, when was the best time to approach schools in relation to placements ?. I don't live anywhere near my primary school so not sure how to go about this. i appreciate your time.
    thanks

Hi Ferris Bueller

i see your in the middle of your PME with Hibernia, i am wondering about placements, how do you go about finding a school ?
    thanks, i hope its going well for you ! ( and will continue , after the lockdown is over !)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Mims.xo

Hey,
    The best time will be as soon as you get your dates for placement rather than being vague. They suggest you wear something formal and bring a CV with you just in case. I wouldn’t email as most schools just ignore them. I know Hibernia has a guide for how to approach schools and they have a partnership list. The best thing is to approach ASAP as there will be other colleges going out on placement too.

trasani wrote: »
    Hi Mims.x0,

I am hoping to start my PME this Autumn, could I please ask, when was the best time to approach schools in relation to placements ?. I don't live anywhere near my primary school so not sure how to go about this. i appreciate your time.
    thanks

Hi,
    many thanks for the feedback. i have heard that student places get taken quickly, so i am wondering if i should approach a school with a letter of interest or something, i will have a look at their partnership list also.

many thanks
    Trasani

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Hi Ferris Bueller

i see your in the middle of your PME with Hibernia, i am wondering about placements, how do you go about finding a school ?
    thanks, i hope its going well for you ! ( and will continue , after the lockdown is over !)

Wait until your on the course. You will get all this info and the how to approach it in due course. No school will express any interest when they return because in terms of priority it will be down their pecking order. Hibernia give you a cover letter etc and you need to get a form stamped. Best you have this so that any promise made to you will be stamped and signed there and then. Often you don’t get a choice as to what class level you get as its all dependent on the principal and the class teacher being willing to accept a student teacher.
    Best of luck

Hi
    Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Have to say i disagree with this post, placements are very hard to get, as soon as you know you have a place on the course start looking for that placement, approach as many schools as you can, of course the only way to do this right now will be through email, yes, placement is way down the list in terms of priority and your emails may be ignored but I would still be trying. The only way to get a placement really is to turn up at the school or to be very very persistent in your communications with the school, apply to as many schools as you can and your emails will be picked up somewhere as you just dont have the option to turn up at schools right now.

It can be very stressful trying to find placements and I know people who left it too late and were under huge pressure to find a school, you are competing with so many other student teachers also looking for a place from other colleges and from Hibernia too.

Its not a letter of interest, it is a CV and cover letter explaining that you are looking for a placement, try and organise all of your placements now too, not just the first one. personalise each cover letter to each school and try and find out the principal/deputy principals email address so that it goes straight to them.

Persistence is the best advice I can give you!

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

Hi Mims.x0,

thanks

I would say placements are tough to get, especially for hibernia students as principals will have a relationship with Pats and Mary I. Some principals will dismiss hibernia straight away and it really is all about who you know, or at least it was in my experience. Pull in any favours you can, get onto anyone who could get you into a school. I know it might be hard to contact schools at the moment but maybe a few emails to say you are looking for placement. First year hibernia students (Autumn cohort) usually have their first teaching practice (sp) around March or April so you could mention that in the email and tell them you will have specific dates in September. If not then get to schools ASAP in September when you have dates. You need to be persistent and get to the principal. Do not leave it with a secretary, speak to the principal!!
    Best of luck with the course

thanks for your input. seems to be varying degrees of opinions about placement.
    thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Having gone through this process in the last year, the best advice I would give is contact new schools and educate together schools. Also, if you know anyone who is a teacher, ask them to ask their principal.

hi,
    yes i will start a list , thanks Olivia, i hope its going well for you
    Trasani

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

hi,
    yes i will start a list , thanks Olivia, i hope its going well for you
    Trasani

The course is going great. If you have any specific questions sé d me a Pm. Would be happy to help if I can.

Advertisement