Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TGD B 2017 - Final Exit definition & rear doors.

Options
  • 06-04-2020 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me out here.

Scenario: New build, semi-d, thumb turn lock fitted on front door to street, key locks fitted on double doors to rear garden. Garden boundary enclosed by wooden fence & has side passage by side of house with a side gate to the front street.

Besides the front door which meets the regulations for fire safety per TGD B 2017 1.3.9.7 Final Exits, in the above scneario are the rear double doors to the garden technically defined as Final Exits also? It is somewhat unclear from the regulation's definition.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/technical_guidance_document_b_fire_safety_volume_2_dwelling_houses.pdf
    Section 0 - General Guidance. P13;
    Final exit - The termination of an escape route from a building giving direct access to a street, passageway, walkway or openspace, and sited to ensure the rapid dispersal of persons from the vicinity of a building so that they are no longer in danger from fire and/or smoke.

I'm trying to determine if the rear doors should also have thumb turns fitted by regulation or not. Our snagger says yes, or developer says no. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,167 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Paremon2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Scenario: New build, semi-d, thumb turn lock fitted on front door to street, key locks fitted on double doors to rear garden. Garden boundary enclosed by wooden fence & has side passage by side of house with a side gate to the front street.

Besides the front door which meets the regulations for fire safety per TGD B 2017 1.3.9.7 Final Exits, in the above scneario are the rear double doors to the garden technically defined as Final Exits also? It is somewhat unclear from the regulation's definition.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/technical_guidance_document_b_fire_safety_volume_2_dwelling_houses.pdf
    Final exit - The termination of an escape route from a building giving direct access to a street, passageway, walkway or openspace, and sited to ensure the rapid dispersal of persons from the vicinity of a building so that they are no longer in danger from fire and/or smoke.

I'm trying to determine if the rear doors should also have thumb turns fitted by regulation or not. Our snagger says yes, or developer says no. Thanks in advance.

assuming your double doors are off your kitchen??? then no, that would not be an escape route, as no escape route should bring you back into the room which is the mostly likely place for a fire to start.

your front door is your main escape route, and your bedroom windows are your alternative escape route.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Paremon2

sydthebeat wrote: »
    assuming your double doors are off your kitchen???
    Yes
    then no, that would not be an escape route, as no escape route should bring you back into the room which is the mostly likely place for a fire to start.
    Makes sense
    your front door is your main escape route, and your bedroom windows are your alternative escape route.
    Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Paremon2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

No. Final exit is the entrance door that gets you from the hallway/stair core to safety.

You should never have to travel back through a room to final escape.

The developer is correct here and snagger wrong in my
    Opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

See attached. Scroll down to 2nd page Question 2. Backs up what Gumbo said.

Advertisement