Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Defeat Devices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

We hope that Volkswagen accepts the court’s decision and we urge them to now do the right thing and put their customers first by entering into settlement negotiations so that our clients are not forced to drag VW through the courts and be faced with further years of litigation to determine their losses

So the court has concluded that the defeat device was in fact a defeat device and that that is very disappointing.

The writing of that last paragraph reads like the court cannot enforce VW to do anything, "we are hoping VW will do the right thing and enter into talks..."

What will happen if VW dont engage?

They hope VW dont drag this out so their clients dont have to wait years further to "determine their loses".

What loses?

All seems like a bit of a red herring as to the fact that nothing is actually really moving forward.

I really dont know much about courts and legalities and that side of things, but it's 5 years now since the scandal broke, surely if it was possible to for successful litigation resulting in payouts for affected owners in the UK or ROI, surely someone would have done it by now?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

54and56 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are any cases taken by Irish VW owners against VW relating to this?
    Firstly as we don't have formal class action lawsuits here, it would have to be a number of individuals making a claim at the same time, together.
    Anyhow, on what grounds would a case be taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Firstly as we don't have formal class action lawsuits here, it would have to be a number of individuals making a claim at the same time, together.
    Anyhow, on what grounds would a case be taken?

I'm curious about that myself but over 91,000 VW Customers in the UK have taken a class action seeking compensation.

I guess the claim must broadly be related to the fact that VW advertised the cars as being "clean diesel" which were compliant with emissions testing when they weren't and either that mis-selling and/or reductions in used values due to the scandal are how customers can demonstrate losses for which they are seeking compensation. Customers simply weren't getting the Clean Diesel car's they were paying for.

Clean-Diesel1586190541.jpg

In the US the settlement they reached included a requirement for them to buy back all the cars they had sold with defeat devices fitted. In total the US debacle cost them $21,000,000,000 between fines, penalties and customer compensation.

If they end up compensating their UK customers it won't be long before customers in EU countries will want equal treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

US Consumer protection laws are a lot better than here in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    I guess the claim must broadly be related to the fact that VW advertised the cars as being "clean diesel" which were compliant with emissions testing when they weren't and either that mis-selling and/or reductions in used values due to the scandal are how customers can demonstrate losses for which they are seeking compensation. Customers simply weren't getting the Clean Diesel car's they were paying for.

Afaik "TDI clean diesel" was a US marketing campaign/ slogan, it wasn't used in the UK.

I think the losses due to lower resale value is impossible to prove and I'd say in Ireland (and most likely the UK), the scandal didnt really taint the value of used VW's whatsoever, if anything there was still strong demand for new and used VW's the whole way through the scandal, so proving any losses that way would be very difficult.

Wonder would the EPA have a case too ?

If you are pursuing a claim then you need to be able to effectively quantify the loss.
    How much have you lost because of the design issue?

If you are pursuing a claim then you need to be able to effectively quantify the loss.

Revenue will be able to compute the loss of tax ( VRT and annual road ) based on declared Vs actual CO2 ... so would they also have a case ? :)

0lddog wrote: »
    Revenue will be able to compute the loss of tax ( VRT and annual road ) based on declared Vs actual CO2 ... so would they also have a case ? :)
    I'm sure Revenue are aware of what's going on and have discussed it amongst themselves but my take on the OP was whether it was possible for a citizen to take on VW. My understanding that you could but you would lose for two reasons:
    1. it's too difficult to quantify the loss given that the resale prices aren't affected in a measurable way
    2. they can afford better legal representation than you or I!

• Advertisement

That and the scandal was over falsifying NOx emissions not co2.

That and the scandal was over falsifying NOx emissions not co2.
    ...which IIRC we dont test for or tax on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

So the court has concluded that the defeat device was in fact a defeat device and that that is very disappointing.

The writing of that last paragraph reads like the court cannot enforce VW to do anything, "we are hoping VW will do the right thing and enter into talks..."

What will happen if VW dont engage?

They hope VW dont drag this out so their clients dont have to wait years further to "determine their loses".

What loses?

All seems like a bit of a red herring as to the fact that nothing is actually really moving forward.

I really dont know much about courts and legalities and that side of things, but it's 5 years now since the scandal broke, surely if it was possible to for successful litigation resulting in payouts for affected owners in the UK or ROI, surely someone would have done it by now?

It can take a long time to get to court; one press report said VW have paid out 30bn to date (currency is irrelevant £, $ or € but can’t remember which). There will be a payout. Delay on VW’s part means further time to rehabilitate and generate profits/cash flow to fund settlements. It should have been life threatening for them but the delaying tactic has allowed them to survive if not to thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

I actually don't know but I'll guarantee you the legal firms fronting the 91,000 person class action in the UK have that question well and truly answered otherwise they wouldn't be pursuing it.

I accept you have to demonstrate a loss to claim damages in a civil case but what about consumer protection from mis-selling?

What if you bought X widget because the manufacturer claimed it did Y and under lab conditions it did in fact appear to do Y but only because the manufacturer had surreptitiously installed software to fool the lab tests? Have you not been fraudulently hoodwinked by the manufacturer into buying a product which doesn't do what the manufacturer claims it can do?

If manufacturers can make claims without fear of having to compensate customers if those claims turn out to be completely bogus there would be no consumer protection whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I thought there was some lawyer in Mayo taking VW to court over this?

It looks like the contents of the article are different now from lunchtime today when I first read it.
    Marcusm wrote: »
    It can take a long time to get to court; one press report said VW have paid out 30bn to date (currency is irrelevant £, $ or € but can’t remember which). There will be a payout. Delay on VW’s part means further time to rehabilitate and generate profits/cash flow to fund settlements. It should have been life threatening for them but the delaying tactic has allowed them to survive if not to thrive.

I seen the 30bn figure quoted earlier but it was said that that included all costs associated with rectifying the 10 million ish cars (or whatever completion rate they had for that) and the costs of buy backs in the US, all that would erode a lot of the 30bn. I think payouts to owners would be a very small percentage of that.

This, to me sums up VW's position and the reality of the situation. Not that I do or dont agree with it but it's been the way so far and it'll be the way forward. As time passes and half a decade already has, car will come off the road, people will lost interest and this will just go away.
    Volkswagen remains confident in our case that we are not liable to the claimants as alleged and the claimants did not suffer any loss. We will continue to defend our position robustly. Nothing in this decision today changes this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It looks like the contents of the article are different now from lunchtime today when I first read it.

I seen the 30bn figure quoted earlier but it was said that that included all costs associated with rectifying the 10 million ish cars (or whatever completion rate they had for that) and the costs of buy backs in the US, all that would erode a lot of the 30bn. I think payouts to owners would be a very small percentage of that.

This, to me sums up VW's position and the reality of the situation. Not that I do or dont agree with it but it's been the way so far and it'll be the way forward. As time passes and half a decade already has, car will come off the road, people will lost interest and this will just go away.

I would change “go away” to “be settled”. Once there is a prospect if an adverse judgement, there will be a consideration of a financial settlement. Provided that falls within VW’s sweet spot, it will be paid.

In Canada, the cash payment was C$5,100-8,000 per vehicle. In the US, it was US$5,100-9,800 per vehicle. VW has shown the propensity to settle. The U.K. claimants will pursue until they do or the case is kicked out.

Advertisement